News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Coupe Deville photo

Started by Kurt Wrebel, September 08, 2009, 03:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Wrebel

Hey guys, think I've worked out how to send pictures to the forum, so, here's my 57 Coupe Deville, all the way from Kansas USA, presently residing in Lincolnshire, England - and tinted for authenticity.
The carburetor is on its way back to the US right now for a total restoration job at The Daytona Parts Co. Florida. I thought Id start the serious work right at the heart and, thanks to Otto's advice, get it professionally done.

Fatz n Finz

Hi Kurt,

Paul said you'd be on here. She looks just fine Quick Re-spray then away we go ? or is there a lot to do, I've got to a stage where I can do a rolling resto i.e. a little bit every year.

Regards

Simon.

Kurt Wrebel

Hi Simon, I wish it was going to be that easy - lots to do here mate. Although the car is very straight and has very little serious rust for a fifty two year old; especially one that's been standing for a long time. The first step is to head towards getting an MOT so that I can get it registered in the UK. The car needs a really good run, but of course I can't take it on the road yet. However, there are quite a few old second world war air airfields nearby, so I'm going to get the relevant permission if I can and spend an afternoon cruising a different strip.

The carburetor was giving me real problems, and was always going to do so unless I really got it sorted properly. So I'm really looking forward to getting that back and fitted.

Any chance of a pic of your car?

Kurt

Walter Youshock

What color is it really?  I like the sepia photo.

As for the carb, ALL '57's have carb trouble.  I've been fighting with mine for 16 years.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

Glad you like the picture. From what I can see beneath the hood and in the trunk, the car was originally pink. But in it's history someone sprayed it a sky blue with a light blue roof.  It must have had the spray job a long time ago because it is faded to matt and also sunburned along one side.

Yes I hear from the forum that these carbs can give problems, that's why I decided to give it to someone else who knows what they are doing to restore it. Daytona Parts Co. have all the original settings as well, so they stand a far better chance than me.

Otto Skorzeny

Post a photo of the cowl data plate and we'll decipher it for you. it will tell you what color , trim and options your car came equipped with.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Kurt Wrebel

Okay, is that the plate under the hood at the far right on the back near the windscreen as look you look at the car?

Walter Youshock

That would be it.

Yes, Daytona has a great reputation.  Mine is going to them right after Hershey.  I've had the Rochester and the Carter and both act the same.  Do you have the momentary hesitation at take off--like from a stop sign?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

Okay, I'll get a photo of that tomorrow. Yes mine had that dead spot, but it seemed to come and go. Then in the end it came to stay and the whole car just wouldn't run right no matter what I did. I suppose I could have persevered but after two weeks of trying I decided to lengthen my life and go the Daytona Parts road.
Here's a picture of the car as she stands now.

Art Woody

Hey Walt, If all you have is a little flat spot on take off, check your timing. A little advance might go along way toward cureing that. Otherwise an accelerator pump in the carb is usually the culprit.

Kurt Wrebel

Walter, I got the details off the plate, but I couldn't get a photograph - couldn't get my camera in there. I see from the plate that the car was built in Detroit. But the mystery about the interior on the car is that I'm sure it's vinyl not leather. It all looks original but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps the plate will enlighten us.

STYLE No.    57 -  6237DX
                    BODY  No.    FW  4500
                      TRIM No.      49         TK
                    PAINT No.    48A -  46
                    TOP  ACC     EHK

Thanks for your help...Kurt

Walter Youshock

1957 Coupe deVille with Dusty Rose (48A) body with Mountain Laurel top (46).  Mountain laurel leather and black nylon interior (49).

E=Tinted Glass
H=Heater
K=Air Conditioner (wish I had it in my car)

No idea what the "T" stands for, though.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Misfit

"T" stands for TIMING Wally. Set the timing correctly and rid yourself of that hesitation. You're not running 1957 fuel anymore !!!

I wish you would believe me.   ::)

MisFit

Walter Youshock

"T" on the DATA PLATE.

And, yes, I did retime the car.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Misfit

I know what you mean. Do you think I'm a misfit or something?   ;)

I'm telling you, bump the base timing 5o to the left of base timing, which I think is 5oBTDC. And you will see a difference. I promise you. So your base timing with the vacuum advance plugged will be 10o BTDC.

And you know I'm rattling your cage. But I kid you not about the timing.

MisFit

Walter Youshock

John,

It is currently at 13 degrees advanced, OK.  Spec is 5.  Car still stumbles.

This has nothing to do with Kurt's questions about HIS car.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Misfit

I know it has nothing to do with his car, but I'm determined to get yours right. Then we'll work on his.

It's just a bit difficult over the Internet. Ya know??? Sure you do. You've been fighting it for 16 years now.

MisFit

And try it with 10o advanced. 13o might be a bit too much.

paul57

hey kurt , lookin good m8 ... :o   still not got the engine out of mine , all ready to lift out but my hoists not man enough to lift it !  gonna try and get a bigger one today ,you would have laughed watching us lift the front bumper off , must weigh about a tonne ....!  might pop over the weekend if your about ???
but its what i've always wanted and this time its a keeper , honest !

1957 cadillac eldorado seville . turning fuel into vapours ...

pmurphy

Kurt Wrebel

Walter, Thanks for the information. Dusty rose makes sense, and describes the color inside the trunk and under the hood better than pink. I can picture the car in its original condition easier now and add your info to its records. Those brave, vibrant fifties colors, along with the beautiful lines of these cars, symoblize the character and atmosphere of an exciting era. An era that I was born at the end of. It's great to know that my Cadillac was once someone's gleaming, dusty rose, mountain laurel blue pride and joy. Sentimental I know. But I like thinking about that stuff. What roads this car took them down and how it shared their lives. Takes me beyond the nuts and bolts stuff to the priceless part of owning a 1957 Cadillac Coupe Deville.

Thanks again, Kurt

Quote from: Walter Youshock on September 10, 2009, 06:51:36 PM
1957 Coupe deVille with Dusty Rose (48A) body with Mountain Laurel top (46).  Mountain laurel leather and black nylon interior (49).

E=Tinted Glass
H=Heater
K=Air Conditioner (wish I had it in my car)

No idea what the "T" stands for, though.

Walter Youshock

Giving it more thought, I think that "T" is really supposed to be a "Y".  "Y" is the code for Posture Seat (really the 6-way seat.  Since deVilles came standard with a 2-way seat, there was a different code for adding the other movements.)

So, if your car has the three buttons on the seat, that's what it is.

AC was part of a Group, so this car is probably well equipped with fog lights and Autronic-Eye as well.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham