News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help with 60s 1940 Town Car

Started by Eduardo Contreras, September 06, 2009, 11:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eduardo Contreras

Hi, I'm trying to restore a 60s Town Car, the tunneau structure is missing, can anybody help me with pictures or any information about it...

Thanks a lot...

Eduardo Contreras
Chile, South America

JIM THOMAS

eduardo, just what iis a tunneau? jim

Eduardo

Quote from: JIM THOMAS on September 07, 2009, 12:55:36 AM

Jim, it's the leather roof that goes over the driver on a Town Car... the one missing in this picture....

Ed

Cadcliff

i should be able to get you some pictures from a 40 V16 town car. Do you think they are the same?
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

Eduardo

Yes Cliff, sure its the same, I need details of the structure to remake it, thanks a lot... you can send them to my e-mail econtreras@almazara.cl

Regards,

Eduardo ;D

veesixteen

Is this one of the 15 custom town cars on the Series 60 Special chassis built by Fleetwood in 1940?
Check them out this page of the club's Cadillac Database:  www.car-nection.com/yann/DATABASE/dbas_txt/DRM40-42.HTM
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Otto Skorzeny

Yann, your link did not work.

Is this the page you wanted?

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Phocad40.htm

or this one?

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm40-42.htm
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Eduardo

Quote from: veesixteen on September 07, 2009, 04:26:11 PM
Is this one of the 15 custom town cars on the Series 60 Special chassis built by Fleetwood in 1940?
Check them out this page of the club's Cadillac Database:

Yes Yann, it came to Chile, South America, as a presidential car, I found it in a very bad condition, but it's worth restoring I think...

Eduardo

Yann, mine is a Metal Back (MB), only 9 made in 1940 by Fleetwood, Body N° 12, the first 5 were Leather Back (LB), I don't think is there any other that had survive with a Metal Back, here is a picture when I found it....

veesixteen

veesixteen

A car as rare as this one definitely deserves a complete restoration. But remember that you may not get back your full inverstment the day you decide to part with your treasure.

veesixteen

A fabulous find, Eduardo. Where are you located? Chile? USA? Elsewhere?

Eduardo

Santiago, Chile, South America... very hard to restore from down here...

Thanks to all, for the support...

Ed

Eduardo

Quote from: veesixteen on September 07, 2009, 11:52:21 PM
Sorry I got the link wrong.  The correct link is this one:

Guess when it's restored I can send a few pictures of the real Metal Back to the data file...

veesixteen

I'm sure you will find many helpers here, on the Cadillac forum, to guide you through the restoration process. I see you have completed most of the body work. You may have trouble finding parts in Chile.  Have you been through the car carefully, to determine if any important parts are missing?  Mechanical parts are still readily available in the USA; the trouble starts when you need to find trim parts, especially for a custom job such as your car.

Off topic: I visited Santiago at Easter 1979, on a return trip from Australia, via Easter Island. BTW, my daughter (34) married a Chileno in 2000; unfortunatey it didn't work out!

Eduardo

Yann

You can't imagine how many modifications the car had, first someone changed the dash, colum and emergency brake for a 46, the seats are missing, the rear bumper, front and back bumper brackets, radiator is a remake, the grille and one of the side grilles were broken, no radio, no air cleaner, no emblems, godess was from a 42, winshield interior trim from a chevy, etc...

I was lucky to find Eddie Jones in MN, that was tearing a 60s appart and got many of those things, and also I been able to get other things from ebay, but always you find new troubles, the guy that worked on the car before cut off the body back door pillars and made new ones strait without any details for the latch and guide, so I'm having a hard time reconstructing that part, any one with a 60s that can send me a few pictures with some measurements would help me...

Off topic, this is such a small world, in american series or movies when they want to tell someone went very far away they always send them to Chile, guess we are at the bottom of the world... Chile has change a lot since 79, you woul be surprised, it really look like a capital... where are you from?

Regards,

Eduardo

Eduardo

Quote from: Cadcliff on September 07, 2009, 11:53:02 AM
i should be able to get you some pictures from a 40 V16 town car. Do you think they are the same?

Cadcliff, any luck with those pictures?

Ed

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ed, I'm sure the pictures that Cliff sends will show you the basic shape & design. However, it's a big series car, and you have a small series car. If you're going to do any measuring & copying, I would recommend a 40 or 41 60-S car only. If your a member of the Cad LaSalle or Classic Car Club, you can contact members with town cars useing the roster. I have some 40 parts. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Eduardo

Thanks Bob,

Any pictures would help me, I need to get an Idea how the structure gives shape and holds the leather roof and how its conected to the boltd in the windshield, so it doesn't matter if it's a little bigger becouse I have to adapt something for it,unless someone knows where is one for sale...

What parts do yopu have?

Regards...

Eduardo

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: JIM THOMAS on September 07, 2009, 12:55:36 AM
Jim and Ed,
I'm sure it was a typo, but the word is actually tonneau with an "o".