News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need Help with '47 Cad parts I. D.

Started by Anthony Amman #15293, September 09, 2009, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Amman #15293

Fellow restorers,

I have several parts that I have yet to re-install and frankly cannot recall where they go or what their function was.  If anyone recognizes these items and can shed some light, I would be very greatful.
Thanks.

Anthony

Otto Skorzeny

I'm pretty sure the U-shaped shim on the lower left is a control arm shim for aligning the front end (tow). It may be used somewhere else but it's definitely a shim of some sort.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jeffrey Burland

I know the round shiney one with Washington's face on it is used in the parking meters in my area... ;D

The washers with small holes might be used on the backside of a door panel or underside of uphostery with screws. HTH Jeff
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

harvey b

the washers with the little holes look like they go on the firewall insulatin pad,my 37 has similar ones with a stove bolt to help hold it in place,not sure if a 47 even has such a thing.the square ones look to be from the voltage regulator screws,they hold the wires to the terminals?. Good Luck, if you have finished your car and all you have left over is this handful?,you did a good job!. Thanks Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Steve Passmore

It would help probably if we knew what type of work you have been doing to your car Antony??
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Anthony Amman #15293

Steve,

I have been in the process of a body off, frame up restoration, with no two pieces left assembled.  These items came from somewhere on the vehicle but I am stumped.
A member sent me a photo of the underside of the trunk lid and the four washers are part of the retaining sytem for the Fleetwood trunk script. 
Otto, the item you mentioned is for sure a shim, but this car does not use them in the front system as it is a knee action type suspension.
Thanks for all of the repiles so far.

Anthony

Steve Passmore

The Chanel type retainers look like they held a trim on somewhere or as Harvey said a regulator connection or something similar.
If the slotted shim was bigger it could be a body to chassis shim, but its a bit small.
In all fairness I have boxes of stuff left over after my restorations  as I replace many shims, washers bolts pins ect for new as I rebuild so its not surprising.
Steve
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Oh right. For some reason I was thinking '57 not '47.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Here's a few guesses from me:

The two small half box clips at the top look like electrical contacts, either from the headlight junction strips on the top of the air inlet boxes under the hood, or possibly from the voltage regulator.

The large round washers might be from the mounting rods through the firewall for the washer jar.

The large slotted piece could be the locking slide for the door latch assembly, where it slides in from the door edge to hold the latch assembly against the door skin.

No idea on the other large piece on the bottom.

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Jeff Maltby 4194

Top 2 clips for starter solenoid wires -4 washers are cad plated not oem--bushing main fuel line to tank fitting? Left bottom U shim is for front fender rear top bolt adjustment by hood springs . The penny is what the Dollar is worth today :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bill Ingler #7799

Here is my take on the parts. I agree with Dave, the 4 washers fit on the 4 long bolts that hold the washer bottle to the firewall These washers are on the passenger side of the firewall and placed over the bolts after they come through the fire wall insulation pad. All bets are off if Anthony says he doesn`t have a washer on his car. The two box clips I believe are used to secure the heater wires to the phenolic block used under the floor for the under seat heater electrical connection. These clips differ from the clips used on the starter solenoid, the wiring connector block on the fender or the clips used on the regulator. The picture below shows from left to right, clip used on starter solenoid which has 5  notches around the hole. The middle clip is used on a regulator, 4 slits around the hole and the last clip is from a heater connection, just a round hole in the clip as pictured by Anthony. I agree with Jeff on the U shaped shim. Used to get fender to hood clarence both at the hinges and between the front of the fender and radiator support. The piece of steel with the large hole is anyone`s guess. I have taken several 46-47 apart and have never seen this piece. The nearest I can come is the bracket you see in the picture which holds the front fender gravel guard to the front fender but it also is L shaped.

David King (kz78hy)

On my 58 there some of the channel pieces in the I/P.  There is a couple of studs that are part of the chrome piece that holds the radio and clock in the dash.  One or two of the studs on the backside have the radio and clock mounted to them.  I think the radio goes over the stud first then, a nut, and then one of those spacers/clamps.  Next the clock goes over the stud and then a nut.  So one stud does double duty. 

I can't tell for size if those are the same size, but another idea if your car has a clock and radio, something to check.

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Anthony Amman #15293

Thanks for all of the replies guys.  We are making progress.  Jeff the shim for the fender to hood makes sense, Bill you were right on the underseat heater phenolic block electrical connection, the four washers are used in conjunction with thin rubber washers to hold the Fleetwood script tightly to the trunk lid.  I do have the washer bottle on mine but the hole diameter for the washers is larger than the ones for the trunk script. 
That just leaves the large square piece with the hole in it and the little round unit which has a set screw hole through the side, a larger hole through the main body, and a smaller hole which the set screw will contact which looks like the end of a ventilator cable wire would fit through.  I have yet to hook up the defroster, might there be something like this used there?

Thanks,

Anthony