News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

thinking of buying a 1980 Seville

Started by robailey, September 09, 2009, 07:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robailey

I have a friend whose brother has a 1980 Seville for sale.  I haven't looked at it yet and just thought I would see what you guys had to say.  Many of you have been helpful with my 87 Sixty Special, so I respect you opinions.  Thanks in advance

Rob
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

76eldo

The 1980 Seville is a great choice.  It has the 80-85 style (which you must like, or you wouldn't be considering it), plus it has the cast iron 368 engine, so no HT-4100 hassles.
The 368 is not a great performer, but it's not troublesome either.

It's in the same family as the 425/472/500, so future engine replacement options are basically unlimited.

In 81, they had the V-8-6-4, variable displacement engine, which is basically the 368, with a computer and solenoid operated vale train shutting down cylinders when there is less demand for power.

If the car is solid, and the price is right, go for it.

My opinion...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Were those all DEFI?   Im thinking in the seville DEFI was standard but some of the other cars had a 4bbl.   Diesel may have also been an option.   If it is the DEFI there have been a few recent posts here indicating that there are some sensors unique to the 80 and 81 that are getting very hard to come by.    When did the digital dashes come out?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Fuel Injected yes.  Throttle body type, not port fuel injection.  People are still restoring brass era cars, so a sensor from the 80's should not be a problem to find.
Digital dashes were available in 84 and up, not sure about earlier, but never saw a 1980 with digital.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Moscicki

When did the digital dashes come out?
I have the trip computer aka. Digital dash in my  1979, I'm thinking 78 is the first year

TJ Hopland

I was referring to the all digital dash, that is speedometer, fuel, everything.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

If you want a bustle-back Seville (and they're one of my favorites), I would agree that the '80 model is the best choice with the '81 a close second because of the cast iron engine unless the cast iron engine is a diesel.

Davidinhartford

Hi Rob.

As the others have said, the 80 is the best year of the 80-85 series.    Ironically the standard engine in 1980 was the 5.7 Diesel.  The gas 6.0 liter was a no-cost option.  Fortunately the majority were gas engined.    The 6.0 liter Gas motor was DEFI eqiupped.  However California cars had the non-DEFI 5.7 liter gas engine.   The DEFI cars had the fuel monitor display above the digital climate control panel.   The 5.7 liter cars had a black delete panel there with the name "Cadillac" on it.  They didn't have the digital climate control either, instead they used the older dial type climate control panel.   The DEFI cars had built in diagnostic feature available too thru the digital readout.

The Sevilles had 4 wheel disc brakes.  Nice stopping power albeit pricey to replace.   The electronic leveling system was pretty straight forward and effective.  The Sevilles came with many features standard that were optional on the Deville series.   Higher mileage cars can have some interior issues.    Interior door armrests seems to be kind of fragile.  Watch those for structural cracks.    Headlimers can come unglued, but that is a very inexpensive repair.  The fibreglass bumper fillers seem to be holding up better on these Sevilles than the earlier Eldorados.   I've seen a few with issues, but most look like they are holding up well.   As always a lower mileage, pampered car will be a better choice than a high mileage one.   These 80s vintage cars don't restore like a 60s car. 

As for digital dashes?   A full digital dash was available, but I think far more were equipped without it.   The yellow digital radio display readouts on the early 80s cars tend to have segment failures.  The cold solder on the circuit boards deteriorates and you get hard to read displays.  They are servicable or you can just live with it.   Digital dash problems are another issue.  I don't know any companies that service any that old.

Good luck on your inspection of the car.   Take some pics for us!

Dave