News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Heat Riser...

Started by JTraik, September 09, 2009, 10:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTraik

The heat riser for my '68 is giving me issues.  I know these things are rarer than hens teeth so instead of scouring the globe I was just going to gut it, seal up the bores and then reinstall it.    I this car will never be started below 50F and most of its use will be in the summer.  Will disabling this feature be more of an inconvenience than a problem?
Jeff

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

When you say "issues" do you mean it's sticking?  That's a common problem, but is easily
cured by lubricating the spring and shaft with a graphite / alcohol mix that's sold for the
purpose.  The alcohol easily evaporates and leaves the graphite behind.  It's sold as "Lock-Ease"
since it's also used on locks.

Can you get along without it -- maybe.  But it will make your engine have a longer warm-up
time and rougher idle in the first ten minutes or so of running.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

JTraik

Well it seems to have excessive play in the bores and also I cannot get it to fit on the manifold properly.  I believe the orientation of the counterweight on the shaft is in the wrong position so it does not open and close properly because the weight hits the frame.... if anyone has pictures I would appreciate it if I could look at them of the part installed.     The spring properly contracts with heat.
Jeff

TJ Hopland

I have had several cars with them not working and it does not seem to make much difference in warm up time even in the winter.  Mine have all ended up in the open position and rusting themselves that way.  I have not had one with worn bores so I dont know how long it will take for a worn one to self seal. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason