News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rochester 4GC Throttle snubber - 1966 Eldorado

Started by Peter Gidlow, September 15, 2009, 03:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Gidlow

Hi Folks,

I have rebuilt my carb recently to a point where it looks a good as new, (lets hope it performs the same way  :-\

The one part I can't tidy up, although it still appears to function OK, is what I would describe as a 'throttle stop snubber'.  It's mounted on the left side of the carb assembly and slows down the throttle closing for the last 1/8" or so of its travel.  I assume to either prevent the motor from stalling due to the throttles snapping shut, or to give a smoother reduction in speed at small throttle openings in traffic ???

The main reason for the post is I need to get one from somewhere. I've tried getting one from this side of the pond, (the UK) and failed miserably.  Anyone know of a supplier?

The second reason for the post is, can I do without it if a replacement is not available?

Thanks in advance

Peter
CLC 23189

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Peter,

Go to the technical section of this forum and look for the recent post entitled NEW huge list of Cadillac parts vendors.
Look for Daytona Parts Company and contact them regarding your carburetor needs.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Peter Gidlow on September 15, 2009, 03:53:18 PMwhat I would describe as a 'throttle stop snubber'. 
Aren't you describing the anti-stall dashpot ?

Dashpots were mounted on almost every US car with automatic transmission through the sixties and seventies. They were not identical to each other but adaptations can be made. The purpose is to avoid stalling on deceleration while the car is running (no need on a car with a manual transmission, which draws engine upon deceleration).
You may do without a dashpot, as there is none on my '52 Rochester 4GC. But my car features a "hydraulic coupling" instead of a torque converter, some relationship remains between engine and transmission at any speed.

(Only to check if we are talking of the same thing) here is the dashpot on my 1966 Mustang Autolite carburetor.
1952 60 Special in France.

Dave Shepherd

Most Cads in my shop have anti stall dashpots that are no longer functioning, I set the idle just a tad higher and stalls are very rare.

Carfreak

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

CF,
He has a 4GC- The Quadrajet was introduced in 67.
By the way, there  are several carb shops that still have access to the aforementioned dashpots.  They were in production until recently.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Dave Shepherd

Peter Gidlow

Many thanks for the info guys.