News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac brake pedal problem

Started by Armond, September 17, 2009, 01:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armond

On my 56 Cad. once the engine is running if I press on the break and release the pedal, it returns back up very quickly. However, when I turn off the engine the brake pedal stays down and the brake lights stay on and  I always use my foot to lift the pedal up. Is this normal or something is not operating properly. Any ideas? Thank you for you suggesstions.

Dave Shepherd

Not normal, I would say there may be an issue with the booster.

Otto Skorzeny

Check your vacuum reserve canister for leaks and the hose that connects it to the booster.

Howdo the brakes work, otherwise?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

J. Gomez

Quote from: Armond on September 17, 2009, 01:46:44 AM
On my 56 Cad. once the engine is running if I press on the break and release the pedal, it returns back up very quickly. However, when I turn off the engine the brake pedal stays down and the brake lights stay on and  I always use my foot to lift the pedal up. Is this normal or something is not operating properly. Any ideas? Thank you for you suggesstions.

Armond,

A few other possibilities could be broken piston return spring, misaligned pedal to unit rods, or other faulty booster components. Your brief description points to a possible booster problem either for the Bendix or Moraine unit. If there are no restrictions and/or binding the piston return spring should return the pedal back to its original position.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Armond

I would like to thank everyone in trying to help me with my situation. During the normal driving times the brakes work fine. All the hoses are new and the booster pump was rebuilt about a year ago. I have checked the springs and rods are free and I lubricated them too. It seems that everything is pointing towards the vacuum booster or canister, I will check them this weekend. Thank you

Christopher Petti

Quote from: Armond on September 17, 2009, 02:30:28 PM
I would like to thank everyone in trying to help me with my situation. During the normal driving times the brakes work fine. All the hoses are new and the booster pump was rebuilt about a year ago. I have checked the springs and rods are free and I lubricated them too. It seems that everything is pointing towards the vacuum booster or canister, I will check them this weekend. Thank you

Armond,
  I'm having the same issue with my brake pedal. Mine is stiff when the car is off and sometimes when I'm driving but after a while it will not return fully and I have to lift it up with my foot. What did you find? I was thinking of changing the vacuum hose between the canister and the booster.
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Not sure this will help, but there is a rod adjustment from the rod that comes from the vacuum canister, then goes to the petal, this is critical. If it is not adjusted correctly it "might" cause the problem you are encountering.

The 56 was unique, in that the master cylinder had no real piston, it was more of a floating, vacuum assited unit. So it works much differently than earlier and later models.

The 56 had a few design flaws, the steerring gear, the vacuum brake unit are two that drive me nuts.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

J. Gomez

Quote from: Christopher Petti on September 21, 2009, 10:35:27 PM
Armond,
  I'm having the same issue with my brake pedal. Mine is stiff when the car is off and sometimes when I'm driving but after a while it will not return fully and I have to lift it up with my foot. What did you find? I was thinking of changing the vacuum hose between the canister and the booster.

Christopher,

One small word of caution, if you are replacing the hose between the canister and the booster or from the intake manifold to the booster make sure it is designed for pressure, the regular heater/fuel type hose are a big no, no as they will collapse and you will have no vacuum or reserve from the canister ..!

I personally think original boosters could be brought back to working condition with just minor maintenance without a major rebuild, unless of course the unit is totally gone. The first item is the rear piston plate wick is well lubricated this would keep the leather packing properly condition. Second clean and lubricate the vacuum cylinder inside wall. These minor steps should extend the life of the leather packing.
I do not recall seeing any preventing maintenance details for the booster in the manual, just an afterthought..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Armond

Christopher,
What I found was a rusty and deteriorated canister bottom that can not hold the proper vacuum. It seems like I have found the problem, but I did not get a chance to fix it to be sure.

Christopher Petti

Armond and Jose,
  I am finally addressing this issue right now because the brake booster is out of the car and I am waiting for parts in the mail. I my take out the vacuum canister from the inner fender. See if I can find some leaks and patch them. It's definitely getting a new pressure hose that is made for this application. The one that runs between the canister and the booster. I'll also check the linkage from the pedal to the booster ans see if everything is properly assembled.

Thanks guys!
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac