News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

update on my 57 eldorado

Started by paul57, September 20, 2009, 06:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul57

well after the initial buzz about getting the car its been back down to earth with a bump !  the engine had started knocking and on dropping off the oilpan it was noted that the front crank journal was causing the noise  :'(  spent the last week taking the font of the car off ( how heavy are the bumpers ! )  and removing the engine / box it was time to start pulling the engine apart . the car came with a huge pile of reciepts for just about every part inside the engine so didnt think there would be too much wrong with it .... wrong !
the bearings on the front two rods had been fitted the wrong way round causing them to spin and mark the crank  , every other bearing was totally shot as well . . . the locking tabs on the bottom of the oil pump had not been bent over thus allowing the bottom plate to drop off into the pan = no oil pressure ... number two piston had been fitted back to front ... the pushrods were all different ways up and covered in heavy rust and two are bent ...
the car is now looking very sorry for itself and the neighbours think i must be mad pulling what looked like a nice car to pieces ! crank is off at the engineers at the moment and am plodding my way through degreasing and bagging everything ready for reassembly ....  all the joys of owning an old car huh !  ;D

but its what i've always wanted and this time its a keeper , honest !

1957 cadillac eldorado seville . turning fuel into vapours ...

pmurphy

Pat

Paul,
Sorry about the engine...sounds like a moron was let loose on it. If your crank has one bum journal you might be able to get it welded up and ground down to a standard size..or whatever size the other journals are.Make sure they boil out the block to get rid of any crap that made its way into the oil galleys. Oil pump kits are still available. Correct engine paint is available from Bill Hirsh or from other vendors in Hemmings.
Cheers,Pat