News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question on 346 L-head

Started by vicbrincat, September 22, 2009, 11:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

I have acquired a good,  working 346 engine (from a 1941 Cadillac) along with a completely rebuilt automatic transmission. I got them for a VERY reasonable price....and could not pass them up.

The problem is the engine belonged to a '41 Convertible with manual transmission. I want to use this engine with the automatic.
Other than the flywheel, and a distributor housing, are there any other things I need to watch for/modify to mate an automatic transmission with an engine intended for a manual gear box?

The distributor that comes with the engine has had new bushings and gear installed...so I will most likely modify the distributor to accommodate the automatic tranny. (I believe this is just the installation of a shift linkage pivot rod into the housing).

I will most likely end up using this pair in my '48 and keep my original motor....in the process of being rebuilt (for what seems like a year) ..as a spare.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Way back in the mimeograph days of the S/S, there was an article about doing this. Probably your best bet is to contact Doug Houston.  He is in the Directory. Give him a call, as this may take some time to discuss.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Barry,

Be nice. I still have an old AB Dick mimeograph that I can't bring myself to dispose of. It is a beauty.

washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Doug Houston

The only thing that will be in your way on the '41 engine with the manual box, will be the small alignment dowels in the block. Simply remove them, and put them aside.

If you're planning on putting an original '41 Hydra-Matic in a '48, don't even think of doing it. If it's a postwar transmission, then OK. If you have the distributor tower for thr H-M, that's one part of it. You'll need the whole linkage for a '48, if it's not already there, and the proper selector lever and TV lever for the transmission. If the '48 has had a Hydra-Matic, then the transmission will go in with little problems.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

vicbrincat

Thanks to all that replied.

Doug, I'm not 100% sure I know  which dowels you are referring to. The 41  engine and the auto tranny are coming next week..I'll have a good look. ...If I  recall,  my '48 engine and '48 transmission have these alignment dowels too. The new auto tranny is post-war (I believe also from a '48).

Just to be a little clear.. I have my original  '48 engine (being rebuilt), a '48 transmission (came with my car) and a '48  distributor (also came with my car). So I  have everything to make a 100% '48 setup. Basically I now have a for spare for everything but the linkages....(my wife still wants to know why....I have no answer..;-)

I wanted to use the distributor from a manual shift car...simply because it had new shaft bushings...and there is zero play. Problem is the distributors for  manual cars  do not have the shaft required for the transmission shift linkage.  I'm cheating...I am having one installed.

I'll  check out the dowel pins once the new engine gets here.

cheers!