News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering "hiss"...?

Started by Steve W, September 23, 2009, 03:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

Just noticed last night that when I make turns in the car...right or left, a slight hissing noise when I turn the wheel. Not lock to lock, just even a slight turn.  Even when the car is stopped and turning the wheel (with the engine running of course) a slight hissing.  Its not loud, in fact, I cant hear it with the radio on. Can't tell if its coming from the pump or the steering box or the column. Steers just fine, no binding or jerking...just the slight hissssssssssss...

What do you guys think it might be?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

jeff1956

Mine did this when it was low of fluid....otherwise no issues, just a hiss. 

Jeff

dadscad

Also check the rag joint coupling at the steering box/shaft. If the rag joint is in poor condition it can allow the metal safety pins to touch the steering shaft connector, then transfer normal noise into the steering column amplifying it in the passenger compartment.

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

It would not hurt anything to get some sort of suction device (like a turkey baster) to suck all the fluid out of the reservoir then refill it with some fresh stuff.   If you do this 3 or 4 times (starting it and running it lock to lock a few times between) you will get most of the fluid changed.   The fresh detergents will often help slight problems.    
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Steve W

My fluid reservior is full, but that's a good point...I have no idea how old the fluid is that is in there. I will try that! Having fresh fluid could only help anyway!

Thanks guys.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Guidematic

Slight hissing ia normal in any hydraulic system. It's just the result of jigh pressure fluid being pushed through orifices. So unless it is obviously audible, I would not be concerned, but a fluid change certainly cannot hurt.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69