News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge/sending unit problem 1969 Cadillac hearse

Started by juggalo78, September 23, 2009, 09:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juggalo78

I am working on my 69 Cadillac hearse. The fuel gauge sending unit went bad and I'm replacing it. With the wires disconnected from the sending unit, the gauge reads "full". I strap the wired together and the gauge drops to "empty". The problem is that when I hook up the sending unit, and with the float all the way down, the gauge read "full" still. If I push the float up, the gauge drops to "empty". I've tried reversing the wired and polarity, but I get the same result. Please let me know if u have any ideas.. Thank you, Jeremy T.  Olathe, Ks

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the internal Rheostat is burnt out.

Here is what one looks like from the inside, once the cover is removed.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Sorry about the poor quality of the picture.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Quote from: juggalo78 on September 23, 2009, 09:24:11 PM
I am working on my 69 Cadillac hearse. The fuel gauge sending unit went bad and I'm replacing it. With the wires disconnected from the sending unit, the gauge reads "full". I strap the wired together and the gauge drops to "empty". The problem is that when I hook up the sending unit, and with the float all the way down, the gauge read "full" still. If I push the float up, the gauge drops to "empty". I've tried reversing the wired and polarity, but I get the same result. Please let me know if u have any ideas.. Thank you, Jeremy T.  Olathe, Ks

Are you getting these reading with the new sending unit?? If you have an Ohm meter read the resistance on the new one, it should be zero (full) to 90 ohm (empty).  Your description indicated the sending unit is not the correct one as it is set in reversed. Changing the polarity at the gauge would have no affect to correct the problem.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

bcroe

Actually, I think it should read 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full.  I never heard of that problem before.  Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

mario

jeremy:
be sure that you ground the sending unit while testing.
ciao,
mario