News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac Fuel pedal linkage sticking

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, September 26, 2009, 10:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I am having a problem with my linkage to the carb. from the inside pedal. It is very sticky and it gets to the point that on the highway I had to put my foot behind the pedal to pull it back. The carb. when nothing is connected moves correctly.
I have 2 return springs connected from the neck of the power steering pump (I know that is wrong but I have no other place that I can see to connect it, any help with that? too?) but the inside pedal is still sticking. Not safe.

Thanks
Jack

Dave Shepherd

Basics here, look for binding at any hinge or pivot points.

Dan LeBlanc

Your spring should be connected to the power steering pump bracket.  You'll find a small hole on the oil filler neck side of the bracket where the spring will hook in.  That may be a source of your problems.  If the spring is not pulling in a straight line, but rather an angle as it would when it is hooked to the neck, it may be putting binding force on the carburetor linkage plate.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

I think Dan meant to say, "Your spring should NOT be connected to the power steering pump bracket."
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Geoff, I think Dan meant what he said. There is a purpose-built hole in the bracket for the spring.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Dan LeBlanc

Forrest is right . . . I meant what I said.  Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words . . .
Dan LeBlanc

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 26, 2009, 04:40:17 PM
Forrest is right . . . I meant what I said.  Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words . . .

Dan,

Thanks for the pix. I am going out right now to look for that hole, that I have never seen, or has been right in front of my face and I have not seen it.
Isn't is usually like that?

Thanks for the pix
Jack

The Tassie Devil(le)

Disconnect the linkage from the Carby to the Pedal, and see if everything moves freely.

Could be the Pedal Link, and pressure at the Carpet where it goes through the floor?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

"Forrest is right . . . I meant what I said.  Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words . . ."

AH!  OK, I was thinking about my old '60 Coupe, that return spring on that car went to a bracket on the water thermostat housing.
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I can't believe that there is a hole there for a return spring!!!!!! Thanks for the picture 1,000 times thanks!
I disconnected the linkage from the firewall and it is sticking somewhere between the inside pedal and the linkage on the firewall.
I sprayed the connection of the linkage on the fire wall with PB Blaster & WD 40 to sit overnight.
I cannot believe that the hole was there and I had that area of the motor all apart and I never saw it.
The car was sitting for 2 months as i was on other projects, so I am thinking that something is grabbing the linkage at the firewall as the inner pedal feels free.

Thanks
Jack

Dan LeBlanc

Don't forget the TV linkage too . . .that also moves along with the throttle.
Dan LeBlanc

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 27, 2009, 07:31:05 PM
Don't forget the TV linkage too . . .that also moves along with the throttle.

Thanks,

That's lubed too!

Jack