News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Old time junque yards with rusty, unsold, "collector" cars.

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, September 26, 2009, 05:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Gay and I toured with our local club today, tagging along behind 7 Model As (It was Model A Day nationally today), and had a great time wandering around some county roads that we hadn't ever been on today. Stopped for lunch in one of our local Indiana restarants that featured home made pie, and left the ladies in town to peruse the antique shops while the guys went to a junk yard that had been in business for forty or fifty years. Parked along side the sales building were a 1938 LaSalle, a 1968 CDV, another 70s Cadillac and a 1977 CDV. The LaSalle had all four fenders chewed up, rust everywhere, but lots of the original trim, including jewels and lenses in the tail lamps. Dash was complete but starting to warp. Purported to "run great," as were the other Caddies. Naturally, these were "collector items" not to be parted out. Even so, they were "as pulled in." I didn't ask how much they were. Just had to think, why, oh why, do junk yard owners hang onto these cars when someone could use the parts. There were old 1930s fenders in a pile that were solid rust. Mechanical parts piled willy-nilly in junk mobile homes. Once decent cars and parts that were just lying there, probably because of that old saw that all old car nuts are rich and will pay big bucks for cars and/or parts, rusty or not. So now, no one gets the use of them. Oh, the '68 CDV didn't look all that bad, if you really, really wanted one.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Otto Skorzeny

Most of these old time junkyard guys have a mental disorder that precludes them from getting rid of anything. They just keep collecting and collecting and collecting without ever really selling anything.

Just like crazy people that fill their houses with old newspapers and other junk. They hoard this stuff and would rather see it rot away than part with it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jim Salmi #21340

Yeah.  You see the same thing on the Hemmings "junk" car calendars, and in other old car publications.  Cars, or at least parts, that are crying out to be saved, and owned by guys who purport to be car lovers but who seem blind to what they are doing.  I know it's their property, but but it's painful to see. :( >:( ???
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

BJM

Understood that they "hold onto" everything but I always wondered then how do they stay in business?  There are land taxes, food to put on the table, energy bills and who wants to live on what amounts to poverty wages. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

They hold on to what "we" want to buy, the trick items. They sell the mundane items. They part out the cars that shouldn't be parted out & keep the common ones complete.  Very frustrating. Been there done that a lot of times. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

RickL

Quote from: Barry Wheeler #2189 on September 26, 2009, 05:36:44 PM
Gay and I toured with our local club today, tagging along behind 7 Model As (It was Model A Day nationally today), and had a great time wandering around some county roads that we hadn't ever been on today. Stopped for lunch in one of our local Indiana restarants that featured home made pie, and left the ladies in town to peruse the antique shops while the guys went to a junk yard that had been in business for forty or fifty years. Parked along side the sales building were a 1938 LaSalle,...

That's amazing, Barry.  You mentioned the 1938 LaSalle which interests me because we're restoring one and looking for a starter solenoid. Can you tell me the junkyard's name and location so I can contact them ? Maybe they've got a solenoid !!  Thanks a lot.