News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

flooding problem

Started by austingta, September 27, 2009, 12:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austingta

I took my stock 66 conv. to a cruise-in tonight. It ran perfectly all the way there (~15 miles).

When I left, it started normally and after I backed out of the parking spot, it died. It was flooded. After several minutes, the normal flooded engine starting procedure cleared it and I made it home fine.

Clearly I need to have the carb rebuilt. I can have that done.

My question is what, most likely, caused this hot engine flooding? Trust me on this diagnosis.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The flooding could have been caused most likely by a speck of rubbish that got caught between the Needle Valve and seat, and then managed to dislodge itself and fall into the carby bowl.   

Most probably still there.

Sounds like you need a better filter in the Fuel Line.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

austingta

It has the (what appears to be) stock glass filter near the carb. Is that the way these cars came? Glass filters seems dangerous, for obvious reasons. I know some older cars even had glass fuel pump bowls.

This carb is very dirty and the choke is stuck open anyway, so I'll send it off.

Otto Skorzeny

What year is your car?

Glass filter bowls were used into the 60s and installed just after the fuel pump.

Click on the link below my name to find a list of vendors. Daytona Parts Company will do an excellent job rebuilding your carb if you choose not to do it yourself.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

austingta

The car is a 66. Here are a few pics of my carb and fuel filter. Is the the factory set-up? If not, any advice for what is stock will be most appreciated!

Thanks Frank in Austin

Otto Skorzeny

That looks like some sort of jury rigged operation but I have a '56 so what do I know?

I'd say that fuel filter is upside down (for Cadillac) and that it should connect directly to the fuel pump. A steel line should connect it to the carb.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

austingta

Copper line and hold-down bracket and everything? It sure would have been a lot of trouble for a jackleg to go to...??

35-709

The fuel filter is mounted correctly, not upside down like they were on earlier (50's) cars, and is in the proper place.  The fuel pump is located below the power steering pump near the driver's side motor mount.  Steel line connects it to the fuel filter, then another steel line from the filter to the carburetor.  No rubber hoses here and no copper lines.  New lines in steel or stainless steel are available from In-line tube at ----
http://www.inlinetube.com/

If that carb is flooding and overflowing get it rebuilt right away, it is a fire hazard!
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2