News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need a Battery for 1959

Started by Bob S, September 27, 2009, 07:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

Hi All,
Well I went to pick up my son from play rehearsal.  I was early so I shut-off the car.  Waited about 15 minutes.  When I tried to star the car and the battery blew up.  My son had some water with him.  So we doused the area with it.  I asked one of the other fathers if he could give me jump.  It started and we were able to get it home, ~9 miles.  Then we cleaned it up with baking soda.  There doesn't appear to any real damages.  But now I need a new battery that fits the 59 battery tray.  This is not a show car.  Any suggestions are welcomed. 

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Carfreak

The 59 battery tray is quite narrow so it limits your choices on standard batteries to get some good power if you aren't looking to get an original 'tar top' battery.

You might consider an Optima.  I've had very good luck with them as have many other members here.  If it matters, I think you can buy an original looking plastic case for them too.  Available at Costo or online.  They are gel rather than liquid acid.  They have good longevity and take the abuse of an old vehicle that is not driven every day.  (stored for periods of time)

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=113_22&zenid=6883e6ca0e2cfad79645507bae1582d7

Or if you are looking for original style:   
http://www.batteriesareus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=144_61

Several different vendors out there, shop for your best price. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Dan LeBlanc

OE was a group 60 battery which may be hard to find.  You can interchange that with a group 27F (not group 27 as the posts will be on the wrong sides).  If you're looking for gel filled, there's the Exide Orbital or the plain old 27-60.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

If you want an original looking battery try Antique Auto Battery in Ohio.

Their batteries look exactly original, but inside the outer "box" is a gel-type no
maintenance battery.  I use them in several cars and the quality is excellect.

Their website is:  http://www.shoporium.com/shops/AntiqueAutoBattery/

They have the Delco OEM type battery for $145.00

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bob S

HI All,
Thanks for the suggestions.  I ordered from Antique Auto Battery.  The reason I ordered from them was that I know if will fit the battery tray.  The battery is 6.25 inches wide at the base and not 6.5 inches like so many others.

Thanks Again for the suggestions.
Bob