News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

429 Engine Rebuild

Started by Ernest, September 29, 2009, 02:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest

Do anyone know of a good company that can rebuild my 429 engine?

Jack Howe

I was faced with this same problem a couple of years ago. I had visited several re-builders here in the San Jose area and was less than convinced that I could get a really high quality job done on my 64 Coupe. I saw some info on Jasper Re-Manufacturing of engines and was very impressed, particularly in the video you can view on their site. After talking with them about the details of removal and shipping, I decided to go for it ! I found a very fine mechanic who was on the list that Jasper recommends. "Bob" removed the engine, secured it to a pallet and off it went to southern Indiana ! When it returned, all new, in a week or so, Bob put the manifolds on, installed all the periferals and we were up and running in a few days.

I have now put about 5K miles onthis new engine and to say that I'm pleased with the performance would be an understatement ! It runs just beautiful ! Quiet, excellent gas mileage (around 18 mpg) starts in an instant - just gorgeous !

So, Jasper could be one of your options. Hint : Ask Jasper for names of their recommended "installers" meet and talk with them and choose the one that you are most impressed with - the installer will be the key to a good installation/job.

Jack

comyboy

do you mind sharing the price of the rebuild?  just curious.  thanks!

Guidematic

I would concur. While not having any first hand experience with Jasper, I know others that have dealt with them and they have been wholly satisfied. They may not be the cheapest game in town, but they are worth the price of knowing that you'll be satisfied and won't have to resort to potentially costly fixes if the job wasn't done right in the first place.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Jack Howe

The quoted price for this work from Jasper was $3957. However, you will have to pay the installer - I paid "Bob" $1500 which included painting the engine and a final tuneup plus the addition of all the peripherals - well worth it ! The starter, alternator and radiator  were rebuilt at about a hundred each. Also new water pump, fuel pump and all new hoses.

I didn't want to leave anything to speculation as to whether it would or would not affect the performance of this engine - it paid off !

Also keep in mind that if you are shipping Jasper a 64, 65, 66, 67 429 engine, your going to get back a 1967 429. Jasper tells it this way: they only want to stock parts for one 429 (the latest), a 1967 engine, so you get the advantage of an upgraded 429 to 1967 standards. There were several significant changes between a 1964 and 1967 engine. But the engine is still your engine not an exchange.

Jack

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jack,
At 18 MPG you are entitled to the world record for 429 mileage.  Brand new, 10-11 was the norm (on good gas).
I "tied" the secondaries closed on my carburetor (quadrajet) on my 66 Coupe's 429 and thought that 13 MPG was quite an accomplishment. 
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

comyboy

not astronomical.  about what i paid for my whole car...  hope mine lasts!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ernest,
Realistically any qualified engine rebuilding machine shop can do the work.  Qualifying them is the trick.  You might look for a shop that rebuilds commercial truck engines and check out a few of their customer references.
A short block including machine work, pistons, cam, bearings etc. should run about $2500.00 and rebuilding the heads, including a few valves might add another $500.00 to that.
Assuming you don't plan on doing your own installation, you might ask the machine shop for someone who would do the "R and R", and I would guess another $300.00-$500.00 might be possible with a small shop.
"Bolt-on's" should cost another $200.00 to $400.00 depending upon the source, and there you go< about 4 Grand.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jack Howe

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on October 14, 2009, 09:42:42 PM
Jack,
At 18 MPG you are entitled to the world record for 429 mileage.  Brand new, 10-11 was the norm (on good gas).
I "tied" the secondaries closed on my carburetor (quadrajet) on my 66 Coupe's 429 and thought that 13 MPG was quite an accomplishment. 
Greg

Gregg,

I might have "fudged" a bit on the gas mileage around town. Its about 13 - 14 mpg but we actually did get an honest 18 mpg on freeway driving from San Jose to San Diego last year which was a huge surprise !

I should add that I installed the Pertronix system that feeds an MSD 6A CD ignition system with 8mm plug wires. The plugs are gapped at .060". I think all this does help a bit on the mpg.

Jack

35-709

Looking at the map it is all downhill from San Jose to San Diego!  No wonder!
;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2