News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac DeVille Oil Pan Gasket Leaking

Started by commodore, October 04, 2009, 02:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commodore

I'm replacing the oil pan gasket and the shop manual says to use "Transmission Cooler Hose Cement" in part of the process.  Does anyone know what that is?  Where can I get it?  What can I use in place of it?  Thanks!

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only "Stuff" to use when replacing the Sump Gasket is plain old reliable Vaseline.

Don't use a Gasket Cement, Silicone, or other sealant as get any of it inside the transmission, and you are in for trouble.   

Vaseline will go through the internal parts and not cause any trouble whatsoever, as Vaseline is used as an aid whilst the Transmission is being assembled.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

Sounds the engine oil pan, no?  If so modern gaskets need no sealer or maybe Hi Tack to hold them in place.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Oh dear, I got it wrong, again.

If it is the Engine Sump, then use an RVT Silastic.

The best one I have found to use is Motorcraft RVT, and it is black in colour, and even though it is a Ford Product, wotks the best of the lot.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

comyboy

Hey again Bruce.  I went into more detail on the other site but here it is anyway just in case dave has some additional input.  this is what the shop manual says to do.  thanks!

2.  Thoroughly clean front and rear seal surfaces of oil pan, and install new oil pan front and rear seals by pulling locating tangs on seals through locating holes in seal flange.  Make sure seals are firmly positioned on flange surfaces with ends of each seal properly located in cut-out notches in side gaskets.

3.  Seal all four corner notch openings with a coating of rubber cement.

4.  Clean out notches in block where ends of oil pan rear seal fit.  Fill this retangular cavity with Transmission Cooler Hose Cement. 

NOTE:  This cement will be easier to apply if the tube has been stored in a cool location to prevent the contents from becoming too thin.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for the information but Transmission Cooler Hose Cement is a new one on me.

Whenever I have to install hoses, I will use "Rubber Grease" if the joint is hard to get together, then use the Hose Clamps to retain the hose to the fitting.

Actually, Transmission Cooler Hoses don't need much to seal them as there is very little pressure in this area.

I have even used a used Car Heater core as a Transmission Cooler with no problems at all.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

comyboy

Thanks alot for the info.  It's actually in the area where the rear pan seal goes.  I think I'll try the RTV.  Thanks again!