News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73 exhaust leak

Started by scott n, October 07, 2009, 01:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott n

I have 1973 eldorado convertible. It has an exhaust leak where the Y pipe connects to the manifold. Loud at first but lessens after warm up but is getting worse. This may be typical as I had 75 coupe de ville with the exact same issue. Do you know what needs to be done to correct this?

Otto Skorzeny

Probably just the donut gasket needs to be replaced. I assume you've checked to make sure the pipe isn't loose and that the bolts don't need tightening.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

Seems like I would not forget since I just put the motor back in my 73 a month or so ago but I dont think there are any doughnuts on a 73 eldo. I think the pipe just is flared.   When mine have leaked its been burnt out gaskets where it mates to the head or cracks (usually both).   Find a manifold thats not cracked, have it surfaced and bolt it up with no gaskets has worked best for me. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

scott n

There is no donut gasket. I am wondering if this warrants the replacement of the pipe or if it can be fixed/welded.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
You are correct, there are no "donut" gaskets in the head pipes on your car. What you have are flared ends of the pipes where they connect to the exhayst manifolds (over the "bells" in the manifold casting), and the pipe is one piece (welded) back to intermediate head pipe where there is, I believe, a flat gasketed flange connection.
The most frequent location for leaks is a cracked manifold, followed by a loose or missing manifold bolts, followed by the headpipes loose where they connect to the manifolds.
I su you visually check where the leak is to see if the pipe itself has deteriorated and that both nuts are tight on the manifold studs.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Glen

Finding an exhaust leak is easier using a hose.  Take a 3 foot piece and put one end to your ear and the other is moved around any place you suspect a leak to be.  You will know when you find it because you can hear the exhaust blowing across the end of the hose. 

That’s much easer than trying to get eyes on all parts of the manifold. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104