News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Advice on purchase of a 1991 Cadillac Brougham

Started by carguyblack, October 08, 2009, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

There is an opportunity to purchase a 1991 Cadillac Brougham ,black on black, with 106k miles in nice shape. Interior is very nice all leather, everything works and has been relatively maintained. The car needs new exhaust and rear air shocks. Asking $5000 OBO. Seems high to me and I don't know if this year was a known problematic year for something that I should stay away from. Suggestions? Thanks, Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

mgbeda

I just bought a '91 Brougham d'Elegance in June, and it is a wonderful car.  That said, $5,000 seems very high.  My car too has just over 100K miles (had 96K in June) and is in very nice shape, but not a show car.  I've had no real problems with this car, but I haven't had it long.  The only problem I am aware of so far with '91s is that a plastic rocker in the outer door handle tends to wear out.  I've heard the digital dashboard is trouble prone, but mine works fine and so does yours I'm guessing.

The mechanicals on the 91's should be pretty bulletproof.  I thought it was a real pain to give mine a tune-up (amazingly hard to get at spark plugs and distributor) but I got it done and how often do you have to do that anyway?

Rust can be a problem on any of this era Caddy (I mean 77-84 all and 85-92 Broughams).  I'm told the rear bumper is a rust trap as is the area under the plastic side trim on 90-92 Broughams.  Here in dry-as-dust Colorado that wasn't a problem for mine.

The rear shocks should be automatic level control shocks in this car.  Mine still work, but if yours don't it could be the shocks or the air compressor or ???  I have heard that the originals can't be found anymore and so the level control either has to be disabled, which may mean replacing the springs as well, or aftermarket air shocks have to be fitted.  Either way it's more expensive than just getting regular shocks.  The exhaust problem should be straightforward.

There is a very small market for this car these days; basically you, me and some of the others reading this forum.  If the car was absolutely perfect it might be worth $5,000, but given your description and the fact that it needs some repairs I'd say the guy would be lucky to get $2,000 for it.  But that doesn't mean he'll see it that way.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

carguyblack

Thanks for this insight, Mike. The price you mentioned was more what I was thinking but I said nothing to the guy as I didn't want to be insulting. Your description of the rear shocks sounds daunting, unlike what he told me. He said aftermarket ir shocks would fit into the system and make it work like factory with no problem. I'm thinking not.
This was a Michigan car with some rust showing so it is certainly not a cherry. I'm thinking I'll be passing on this one.
Again, thanks for the useful info! Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Walter Youshock

The rear shocks are a problem.  The originals were 2 different parts as the left shock had 2 nipples for the air hoses and the right had one.  I just replaced the ones on my car with Delcos and it came with a kit.  Both replacement shocks have only one fitting for the air line.

Years ago, they blew out on my '82.  I had the system bypassed and had regular shocks and cargo springs installed.  The car was fine.

If the car is really that nice, I wouldn't let the rear shocks deter me from buying it.  $5,000 does seem a bit steep for it, though.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

John Morris

I bought my 90 Brougham for a $1000. The body & interior are just about like factory new. Every option works like new including climate control, air leveling, everything. I live out west and you could not give me a salt belt car. 5 grand with rust and mechanical issues? Please no offense to you salt belt dwellers, we have different standards. I once bought a 58 Deville sight unseen from Pa. He swore, and I asked many times, there was "hardly any rust on this solid body" Well, the car arrived and the bottom 1/4 of the car was MISSING due to rot. There's solid running 90-92 [and 80s] Broughams all over the place out here.

Joe Manna

I paid 3k for my 91.That was 3yrs ago.I put maybe another 3 into it.The car has 159k on it. But,thats because I wanted it right.Did end up having the rear shocks replaced.They are AC Delco replacements.

John.the 58 you mentioned,the guy was right.There was hardly any rust,it was all gone.

Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Greg Powers

The only thing I haven't heard mentioned is which engine is in the car, 5.0 or 5.7. I have owned 3 Broughams, two d'elegance with the 5.7 and most recently a 1992 regular Brougham with the 5.7 and only 15,000 original miles.  I think your rust issues may be your worst enemy in this case. I also tend to like the longevity of the 5.7 engine versus the 5.0 engine. As far as price is concerned, they aren't making any more of them and just like the clunkers program highlighted we're watching more of them go to the crusher each year. Buy at a price level you feel comfortable, but always check out a purchase at a garage with a lift before you buy anything. In my business we see cars everyday from a certain large used car store that are showroom on top viewing, but "road-hard-and-put-up-wet" (rust, leaking fluids, corrosion, dried out bushings, belts and hoses) when you look from the underside. Best of luck, hope you find a real beauty.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!