News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Cad Fuel Tank compression fitting

Started by ferdinard, October 12, 2009, 08:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferdinard

I have a 1951 cadillac, fuel was leaking around the compression fitting that screws into the gas tank.  After taking it a loose I found that it is missing a brass line block that should be between the gas tank and the fuel line.  Without that piece I can not stop the line from leaking.  Does anyone know where I can find one?
F. Crawford

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

jmurrayent

Old topic, but I have the same problem.  I had my tank boiled out and upon installation found that the threads on the compression fitting bottom out before the fuel line seats in the tank and is therefore loose.  Did I lose an o-ring or a ferrel?  I looked at another tank I have and it looks the same.  Shop manual is no help.
Thanks,
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

Jeff Maltby 4194

It's a brass bushing that drops inside that the fuel line compresses to seal.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

jmurrayent

Hi Jeff, I sent you an email.  Where do I get this bushing and why didn't I see one fall out when I disconnected the line?
Thanks,
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible

D.Yaros

Generally, the ferrule or compression fitting, once tightened, is tight on the line and not likely to fall off.  So, the first place to look for the old fitting would be on the end of the old gas line.

I would think the compression fitting would be readily available from places like NAPA?    All one needs to know is the diameter of the line on which the fitting is to be installed.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Dave Ventresca

the NAPA fittings are generic and don't work. too short, too weak;the original is very thick.  . someone is also repopping those. Dave

Jeff Maltby 4194

My 49 reproduction. 50 up are similar less smaller OD.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

jmurrayent

Jeff, thanks for the photos and the dimensions you emailed to me.   I think I found a solution without having to go to a machine shop.  I'm not sure if it will work since the fitting seals to the tank bung with a washer instead of the inverted flare on the pickup tube.  If the pickup tube needs the pressure of the flare to seal to the tank bung I'll be sucking air.  Will keep you all posted......
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's the drawing Bill Balkie made. 49 bushing on left-57 on right.

The other key to these is to measure the inner diameter of the tank nut threads to make sure it will fit in and yes Jim, the bushing seals both ends with main line installed 49 and up, while pre 49 tanks didn't use a bushing.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

jmurrayent

Here's an update:  I decided not to try my first setup above since the inverted flare inside the tank would not be sealed, I didn't want to experiment and have to pull the tank out again.  Instead, I went to Napa auto parts and got an inverted flare adaptor to screw into to tank.  It was barely long enough to seat against the flare inside the tank with about 1/16" to spare, I needed a coupler for the original fuel line also (see photo).  I have seen a similar flare fitting with a longer nose on it, but my Napa didn't carry it.

Lastly, as I was doing all this, I found the original flare spacer lying on the garage floor where I removed the tank! After I found the spacer, I decided to go check the dirt where I removed the second tank and sure enough, found the other spacer. 

Moral to this story:  Don't be an idiot like me!

Second photo is of the original spacers.

Thanks Jeff for all the help,
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jeff,