News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

62 caddy wipers that do not shut off

Started by art, October 16, 2009, 04:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art

My wipers always work. Even if I disconnect the switch. Just keep wiping. I had the wipers rebuilt by wiper works. Any one know how to diagnose this problem? I would appreciate any insight.

Art in NC
62 eldorado

Sweede64

Thomas Karlström

The Tassie Devil(le)

Check the insides of the Washer Pump area to see if the Rubber Sleeve is still in place.

It is to do with the operation of the parking device, "Wipers that is" and if it is broken, won't actuate the contact when the switch is turned off.   You could find the piece in two halves, laying inside the Pump-case.

My '60 CDV did that, and as soon as I replaced the broken piece with a 1/4" length of windscreen washer hose, it worked perfectly.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

All the wiper switch does is either eliminate contact to ground or create resistance to ground (no resistance is high, and then low and medium have resistance).  Almost like your fuel gauge.

If the wipers don't shut off, it could also be something grounding the field coil to the case which is grounding it to the body.  I believe it's the brown wire on the three wire connector that has 12v any time the ignition switch is on, so unplugging the wiper switch will do nothing.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

The problem as Bruce describes it must be fairly common.  That piece of rubber in there deteriorates and falls off.  Had exactly the same problem with my '60 and the fix as Bruce describes it was the answer.  Check the ground first, it is easier.   ;D
Geoff N.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2