News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Difference between vented and not vented radiator cap?

Started by TJ Hopland, October 16, 2009, 09:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

What is the difference between a vented and not vented radiator cap?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jeff1956

vented caps have the safety pressure release lever...unvented are the standard issue cap you cant let the pressure off with except to slowly remove it...i go vented for personal safety.

jeff

RobW

Vented were used on older models without an overflow recovery tank. Non vented was used on newer models with the recovery tank. With the tank you're venting at the recovery tank far enough away from the radiator to not loose coolant in the process.
Rob Wirsing

TJ Hopland

Thats what i was thinking.   Vented= no tank   

If you have a vented cap with a tank what happens?   Does it not draw coolant back if it needs to?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Otto Skorzeny

It works the same as the other. The ones with the lever on it are just so you can release pressure manually in an emergency without burning yourself.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

I understand about the ones with the lever.   What I am trying to figure out is you can buy a cap that looks looks identical in every way except one says vented on it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

bill henry

the vented cap does only has 1 rubber seal instead of 2 so it could let you suck back air instead of coolant . this is what i have on my 69 Camaro with no coolant tank
Bill Henry