News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Could it be true?

Started by Ty, October 18, 2009, 09:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty

I heard an interesting discussion during the Hershey event recently regarding 1937 Cadillac V-12 and V-16s. Is it true that persons could order both summer and winter bodies for these cars? I heard that you could simply take your car to a storage center (like dry storage for boats now days) and they would remove the body and replace it with the next seasonal one. If so, how would they have done that without damage to the body. Could, lets say, a sedan convertable replace a four door sedan? Just a likely story?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Otto Skorzeny

Sounds dubious to me.

Has anyone ever taken one to Pebble Beach with two restored bodies? The people that could afford those cars in 1930 are the same ones who can afford them today.

If they existed, I think there would be at least one actual car around that Jay Leno or Ralph Lauren had both bodies for.

I'm aware that many of these vehicles were re-bodied during their service life but that's a lot different than re-bodying a car twice a year.

The next poster might prove me wrong but I don't think so.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Warren Rauch

It would be a fairly hard job on a car that big.
  My Grandfather used to do that very thing on early Twenties Model T Fords. He had a roadster body in summer and a sedan for winter. He claimed it was quite easy on the T.  I have always thought it strange since in the Late 20's when He did it ,the T's were only worth $10. Why not have two whole cars?
   California Tops were another answer. They could turn a pheaton into a sedan. Such tops replaced the soft top with a hard one and included top parts for the doors. They were availible in the after market at least into 60's. Same idea as an Allante.Warren

Otto Skorzeny

Right. A T is whole different animal. Those big Cadillacs aren't exactly snap-together models from Revell. You don't just undo 6 bolts and yank the entire body and interior off the car.

I too think that someone who could afford cars like those would have two whole cars if they wanted them.

Do you really think JD Rockafeller was taking a cab to work while the dealership was putting the closed town car body on his phaeton.

Gimme a break!
fward

76eldo

Rarely done, but not unheard of.

In the teens and 20's many wealthy car buyers purchased a chassis from Packard, Pierce Arrow, Cadillac, etc, and then had a body for the car constructed by a coach builder to meet their specifications.  Companies like Hibbard and Darrin, Derham, Rolston, Dietrich and others made a living providing custom bodies for high end cars.  The bodies were a little more interchangeable back then.

By 1937, cars had become much more complex that those of the teens and 20's.

For the wealthy families who had a chauffeur, in some instances, people had cars with open and closed bodies. In the fall, the chauffeur would switch the body.  It was much more common for wealthy New york families to have an open car at their summer residence in CT or some other new england state, and that's why there are so many "Full Classics" that have been found in that region.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Carfreak

Seen @ the ACD Festival last month; 1909 Maytag Mason.  Took 4 men to change the bodies. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Carfreak

:)

Carfreak

Otto Skorzeny

A glorified buggy from 1909 is a far cry from a 1937 Cadillac V16. Until someone proves otherwise I'll stick with an emphatic, "No" to Ty's question.

In fact, I think I'll I say that it was never done.

I would love to be proven wrong because I think seeing the two bodies for the same chassis that were changed out every 6 months would be quite interesting.

fward

Carfreak

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on October 18, 2009, 10:29:48 PM
A glorified buggy from 1909 is a far cry from a 1937 Cadillac V16. Until someone proves otherwise I'll stick with an emphatic, "No" to Ty's question.

I tend to agree with you Otto particularly thinking about the larger, heavier steel body, more intricate interiors, glass panes, etc.  of the 30s era vehicles. 

Just thought this demonstration on the 1909 was pretty cool.   

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Forest, with all due respect to the poster, the Mason was a bad example.  As a long time member of the CCCA, I have seen articles on quite a number of summer/ winter bodies. At least 2 were on Duesenberg chassis. All were on expensive chassis both American & foriegn made.  Most, like Brian said, were done for old money east coast people. By the mid thirties it was pretty much no longer done. I have never heard it regarding any Cadillacs much less 37's. As a younger guy that doesn't have a background in early classics, I can see where you've just never heard of it. There were also people that had the body from their old chassis transferred to new chassis at least 2 times. See what money will buy! LOL  Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

I was speaking to my brother in law tonight and asked him about this topic.  He owns a collection of Packards from the 20's to the 50's, and is very knowledgeable about classic era cars.  He feels that it is extremely unlikely that anyone would be switching bodies seasonally on anything as late as a 37 Cadillac.  By then the cars had become too complex to do that with, and too many connections such as the dash, etc.  Would not have been practical at all.

Teens and 20's cars were different and "closed" bodies were just becoming popular.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on October 18, 2009, 10:29:48 PM

That sounds like the "gold dollar in the light lens" Ty ;D

I agree with Forrest, far too complex a job on later cars, they don't have a loom connection at the cowl so plenty of disconnection work to do there, besides, as you say, where are all these spare bodies?  Also someone would have a "time" sheet for it from a Cadillac dealer.
A great deal of bodies fitted to exspensive cars here were hand built, and it was not uncommon far the wealthy to have newer bodies made for their older chassis or transfer the old loved family body on to a newer car, but no factory stuff like the cars we are talking about.
Some people hear a bit of imformation like this years ago and the more they tell it to people who don't disagree with it the more they believe it to be gospel themselves, and will argue it to the death.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Ty

Thanks everyone. That is a lot of good discussion. Too bad you didn't hear the one about the gold coin in every '37 glass tail light lense. It was said that is why they have that special color, and are so hard to make.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330