News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Muffler to fit my 38?

Started by Tom Magdaleno, October 19, 2009, 09:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Magdaleno

The modern style oval mufflers do not fit well in our pre-WWII cars.  The original muffler was round.  I can't find a large round muffler from an aftermarket company.  Anyone know of a late model car I could find in the junkyard that would have a round muffler?  I'll look at SUVs, but I thought I would take a shot here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. 
  My other idea was to run two of these inline... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14444/?image=large
Although I don't want my 350 powered V16 Cad to sound like a Camaro.
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

STDog

I know someone with a pair of these (Though larger pipes) on a 500 powered '49.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Section/Mufflers-Resonators/Part-Type/Mufflers/Inlet-Diameter-in/2-000-in/?keyword=hushpower

I think one should handle a little 350 in on a single pipe.

Magnaflow makes a lot of round mufflers. Like these 6" and 7" rounds.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalsatinxl.asp

For something more pedestrian they have these as well in 4", 5", 6" and 7" diameters.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalmuffler.asp?shape=round

I'm sure the other manufactures have similar products, I just don't want to look them up.
You could also hit most any muffler shop and get OEM replacement mufflers.

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Misfit

I would think you no longer have a V-16, but simply another Cadillac with a Chevy engine it. had you left the car proper, you could have.........Oh what's the use?

You need to have Cadillac respect first.

Fins

Tom Magdaleno

"Left the car proper" John, have you seen my Avatar?  As you can see from the picture this car did not have all the parts!!!  The engine has been missing since the 1940s!   If you've got $40,000 I would love to put a V16 back in it, but since I have already spent 5 years and thousands of dollars I would think I could get some slack.  So don't give me a hard time about it because anyone else would have let this car go to the crusher.  I'm doing my best to make it look original, but parts ain't cheap or easy to find.  So there!

STdog, thanks for the links, those sites have more specifications.  The magnaflows look like they will fit, but all their sound clips sound pretty loud.  I'll try the junk yard and see what I can find first.
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck

Jack Carroll

Tom,
Give Waldron's Antique Exhaust a call 800-503-9428 ( Michigan)
They are framiliar with Caddy frames and exhuyst systems. They will custom
build a muffler to you physical requirments ( size and materials) in
conjuntion with what ever sound level your looking for. Their turn around time
is about 2-3 weeks and their prices are reasonable They made a  stainless muffler
for my LaSalle for not much more the a stock off the shelf one.

Good Luck
Jack Carroll

mark Lowery

Quote from: Jack Carroll on October 21, 2009, 07:32:31 AMJack,
Don't mean to hijack this post, but could you tell me what year the LaSalle is?  My 37 LaSalle may have had an original muffler in it as it was round in cross-section, but I really don't know.  So if yours was a 37 (or 38 or thereabouts) this may save me a lot of research.  I assume you like the sound as well as the fit.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216
Tom,
Give Waldron's Antique Exhaust a call 800-503-9428 ( Michigan)
They are framiliar with Caddy frames and exhuyst systems. They will custom
build a muffler to you physical requirments ( size and materials) in
conjuntion with what ever sound level your looking for. Their turn around time
is about 2-3 weeks and their prices are reasonable They made a  stainless muffler
for my LaSalle for not much more the a stock off the shelf one.

Good Luck
Jack Carroll

Jack Carroll

Mark,
My Lasalle is a '39. The physical shape of the original muffler is a long round cylinder that passes
thru the rear angled frame crossmember. It's a bit of a snug fit. I don't know what a '37 or '38
looks like but the folks at Waldron should know.

Good Luck
Jack Carroll

Carfreak

Tom

To throw my .02 in here, without the engine your car is not a V16. 

Granted the engine may have disappeared in the 1940s and you saved the car from the crusher, but seems misleading to continue to list it as such designation when it is not.  Perhaps more proper to indicate it by the proper Series?
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I used to get a Ford pickup muffler for my '41s. Probably one from the late 50s. See if your local Midas can check for you during a slow period.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Misfit

Quote from: Tom Magdaleno on October 20, 2009, 11:29:42 PM
"Left the car proper" John, have you seen my Avatar?  As you can see from the picture this car did not have all the parts!!!  The engine has been missing since the 1940s!   If you've got $40,000 I would love to put a V16 back in it, but since I have already spent 5 years and thousands of dollars I would think I could get some slack.  So don't give me a hard time about it because anyone else would have let this car go to the crusher.  I'm doing my best to make it look original, but parts ain't cheap or easy to find.  So there!

Relax Tom. I mean no harm. Honest !!! The way I heard it, you tore out the V-16's and opted for the Vette engines. I couldn't figure out why someone would degrade such a car. Yes, It gorgeous!!! I only wish I had such a car.

I had no idea they were already removed. So, accept my apologies if you like. But I would have dropped a 472/500 in it for the awe factor.   :o

Fins

Tom Magdaleno

Quote from: John Serio #22631 on October 22, 2009, 07:41:40 PM
Relax Tom. I mean no harm. Honest !!! The way I heard it, you tore out the V-16's and opted for the Vette engines. I couldn't figure out why someone would degrade such a car. Yes, It gorgeous!!! I only wish I had such a car.

I had no idea they were already removed. So, accept my apologies if you like. But I would have dropped a 472/500 in it for the awe factor.   :o

Fins
Apologies accepted,  I would never try to make this car fast.  A 500 would be cool, but I don't pop the hood at car shows so I figure as long as its at least a V8 and GM its decent, if not ideal.  The last owner was really a shadetree mechanic and made this 350 fit and work just to get it moving off his lot. 

I was thinking it would be cool to try and make a V16 out of two flathead Cad V8s joined together.  Those engines are  a lot more plentiful.       
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck

Tom Magdaleno

I went to the Neathercutt Museum yesterday and they had a '40 V16 that looked unrestored.  I took these pics if anyone else is interested. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck

Tom Magdaleno

I found this muffler on a 90's Dodge truck in the yard.  It might be aftermarket.  The '40 at the Neathercutt had another muffler in front of the axle.  I found that the Dodge Caravan has a very compact and short resonator muffler below the rear bumper.  I may go back and get it if this muffler is loud. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck