News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac windshield washer unit rebuild myself?

Started by carguyblack, October 21, 2009, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Could someone give their input if I should attempt to rebuild my washer unit myself? I can get the kit for it but didn't know if their was a lot involved that takes special finesse and tools? I rebuilt my Moraine brake unit with a kit only to find out (later) that my center push shaft was pitted and needed replacement as well. (not in the kit) Then had to pay for a complete rebuild after all. 
Anyway, didn't want to waste good "kit" money only to have a service end up doing it all over for me anyway. Suggestions welcomed! Thanks, Chuck Dykstra
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

jaxops

I went with the electric motor for the wipers, and thus the switch for the vaccuum assisted washer doesn't work.  I haven't had the need to use it so I left it alone.  I guess if I have to, I will hold a bottle of water out there.  I may fix it one day but it hasn't been a priority.  I'd say that it is up to you.  If you still have vaccuum wipers, it runs off of the same lines.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

J. Gomez

Quote from: carguyblack on October 21, 2009, 08:48:09 AM
Could someone give their input if I should attempt to rebuild my washer unit myself? I can get the kit for it but didn't know if their was a lot involved that takes special finesse and tools? I rebuilt my Moraine brake unit with a kit only to find out (later) that my center push shaft was pitted and needed replacement as well. (not in the kit) Then had to pay for a complete rebuild after all. 
Anyway, didn't want to waste good "kit" money only to have a service end up doing it all over for me anyway. Suggestions welcomed! Thanks, Chuck Dykstra

Chuck,

The kit should come with everything you will need to rebuild the pump, hardware rivets, screws, gaskets, etc. In addition, you would need the tool to set the rivets i.e. hand clincher (about $25) plus the optional squeezer (also about $25), and if the return spring is bad you will need to add that (not sure on the price).

Pressing the rivets should be easy but there is a sequence you need to observe to press them, pump first and pump to lid second.

So is all in the math $$$, plus you time, plus patient to get everything line up. Have you check with the wiper man???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

carguyblack

Jose,
Thanks for the reminder. I have an email in to them right now and will let you know what they say. With the $50 in tools needed that I would only use once, it probably makes more sense to have someone who does this all the time and truly knows what they are doing do it. Here's hoping! I didn't find the washer unit mentioned on their website though.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Kevin Kenneally

I just got mine back from McVey's on my 1955 Cadillac and it works great..  It cost about $275 but I was afraid I would throw money away on a rebuild kit only to send it away to get it done right..  They turned it arond in 1 week, too!

Kevin

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I agree -- send it to McVey's -- they did mine and it returned like new and worked
great!  Also, the cosmetics (decals, paint, etc) were top notch.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region