News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Who makes what oil filters

Started by 35-709, October 22, 2009, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

35-709

To go along with the Amalie oil thread and list of oil manufacturers here is a list of oil filter makers also from the Club Lexus forums and posted by "Pheonix".  Again, this list may not be 100% complete.  "Pheonix" invited corrections from his forum readers.  These may also change in some situations because some manufacturer may come up with a lower bid.   ;D 
Geoff N.

List of filters and associations,
Main Manufacture
--Sub- names of Brand filters using the main company to manufacture their filters.

Fram

* Fram Extra Guard (std)
    * Fram Tough Guard (different media?)
    * Fram X2 (Silicone ADBV, Fuzzy media)
    * Fram Extended Guard(same as the X2)
    * Mileguard (Jiffy)
    * Honda (although some are alleged to be made by Filtech)
    * Chrysler line up except for the Cummins
    * Penzoil
    * Deffense
    * Canadian Tire

Champion Labs

* Bosch
    * Car and Driver
    * Deutsch
    * Mobil 1
    * STP
    * SuperTech
    * K&N
    * Valvoline filters
    * Mighty
    * Service Champ
    * Lee
    * AutoZone Value Craft
    * Some AC Delco
    * VW (some)
    * Warner
    * Luberfiner
    * Trust

Wix

* Carquest blue
    * Carquest red
    * Napa Gold
    * Napa Silver (lower quality with nitrile ADBV)
    * Kralinator (in Canada)
    * ALLIANCE (Freightliner aftermarket)

Purolator (Arvin Meritor)

* Purolator premium plus (nitrile adbv)
    * Purolator Pure One (silicone adbv, different media)
    * Havoline
    * Maxlife Valvoline (some)
    * Group7
    * Promotive
    * Powerflow
    * Quaker State (less media)
    * Advanced Auto Total Grip. (less media)
    * Pep Boys Pro Line
    * MotorCraft
    * Superflo

Denso
Toyota
Mann+Hummel
Mann
Volvo

Clarcor

* Baldwin
    * Hastings
    * Amsoil
    * Casite
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Ted in Olympia WA

While this is interesting it does not tell us anything about quality or what brand to use?

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

35-709

You're right.  The assumption being that, like many other things, the filter is the same (except where noted as it is in a couple of places), just a different label on the filter can and the box.
Geoff

Ted in Olympia WA

Thanks for the information.

If I was the King of the World there would be only 4 oil filters made; small, medium, large, and extra large.  Why is it that you go to the parts store and there are a 1,000 plus flilters?  They all do the same job and I don't know why they have to redesign things that work?

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

35-709

"Why is it that you go to the parts store and there are a 1,000 plus flilters?"

:D :D  Guess everybody wants a piece of the pie.
Geoff N.

Carfreak

I had the opportunity to attend an interesting presentation earlier this year that particularly focused on the differences of oil filters.  There were several dozen types cut apart so that we could clearly see how they were constructed. 

The standard Fram filter has a cardboard top & bottom with what appeared to be 'kite string' holding it together.  As expected the other 'cheapies' are mostly of the same quality (undesirable in my opinion).  FWIW, the higher priced Fram filter (I think comes in a can?) are 'better'. 

I use Wix filters and was not surprised that they were of good design including with a significant amount of filter material and well constructed. 

If you have any doubt in your mind regarding the brand filter you are using, then grab an oil filter cutter (or hacksaw) and take a look inside the next time you are changing your oil.   
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Andrew Pullin

If you want to go really high priced, take a look at these:
http://www.gopurepower.com/

Supposedly reusable when you wash it out. Supposedly a lot of race teams use them.

I think most of their passenger car filters are around $220; that's the price for one to fit my Mazda RX7, not that I've bought it.

Do they make any that fits my 1940 LaSalle ? Who knows!
Am I going to put the engine from my RX7 into my LaSalle? Who knows!
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

Coupe

Cutting open a filter can be very revealing if you have had or are having a problem. I have cut apart the filter on my '57 occasionally but with the bypass system what do you really learn. The equipment superintendent at the construction company I worked at for 40+ years cut open filters on a regular basis. He would run a magnet thru the folds and see stuck.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

35-709

Oil filters in aircraft engines (not all of them have filters, some just screens) are cut open at oil change and the filter material separated and spread out like a big accordion and checked for any metal.  A small amount of metal flakes are normal, major metal flakes, chunks, and anything having a readable part number ( ;D)  are cause for further investigation.
Geoff N.

Misfit

Geoff. Thank you for the information and the other places you have posted it.

I've cut open a few of the Wix filters on the '59, and all I found was 50 years of cr*p that the synthetic had washed off. But generally I use an AC Delco filter. That's what came on the engine. Well......the one that's in it. It's 2 years newer, and I'm glad I don't have that awful canister to change.

Fins

D.Yaros

Dare I mention the word "Corvair" here; as I know it is heresy.  At anyrate, there is an oil/oil filter expert there.  I believe he resides in Brazil?  He cuts filters open all the time.  He says Frams are junk.  Wix, which is also the NAPA brand are good.

Even beyond heresy, I put 185,000 a Ford Pinto on which I used a toilet paper filter! 
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

TJ Hopland

One would assume a place like champion must make several grades of for many applications.   A bosch cant be the same as car and driver.   Those are sold at Target.  Parts stores get a primo for the bosch ones.     

I have been sticking with WIX.   Used to use Delco but have has some issues more recently among them not even being able to get them to start threading on.  If they cant get that right I dont have much faith in the rest of the construction. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Otto Skorzeny

My guess is that most of us change our oil and filters at 3000 miles. I doubt that any of uswould describe our cars' use as "severe service."

I would also guess that since this is the case, even the lowliest Fram oil filter would perform as well as the premium branded filters in most of our cars. Our vehicles are well maintained and the filter - regardless of brand - never gets the opportunity to get clogged up with what little crud there is in our engines.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

One of the problems I have seen in the low quality filters is the filter portion is not very well attached or sealed internally.  I have had more than one where I could just look inside and see the filter element just floating loose in the can.   Cut one open some time and see how they are held together, you will be amazed that it holds as well as they usually do.  Some of the better filters still use a nice strong spring to make sure everything stays in place.   I also suspect that some of the cheap ones only have one size filter element, they just stick them in the right sized can. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tom Magdaleno

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on October 24, 2009, 10:47:11 AM
My guess is that most of us change our oil and filters at 3000 miles. I doubt that any of uswould describe our cars' use as "severe service."

I would also guess that since this is the case, even the lowliest Fram oil filter would perform as well as the premium branded filters in most of our cars. Our vehicles are well maintained and the filter - regardless of brand - never gets the opportunity to get clogged up with what little crud there is in our engines.

Good point Otto although they do dilute the oil faster than modern cars.  The biggest reason why new cars go 200k miles without a problem is that they don't have carbs.  On my old cars I go by time and color since I usually drive them less than 3000 miies a year.  Since all carbs run rich and dilute the oil I just change the oil once a year and by then the oil is pretty black. 

On the other hand, when my Riviera was my daily driver it would use a quart of oil every 500 miles.  So I would only change the oil and filter every 6000 miles because it was basically getting an oil change every 2500 miles already.  I cut apart a few filters and they were always really clean.  I noticed that the Fram filters took longer to get oil pressure because their drainback springs are not as good as other brands. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper