News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering column removal 1955 Cadillac

Started by Bob Kielar, October 23, 2009, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

How do you remove the steering column from a 55 Cadillac ? My horn wire has broken loose that goes down the center of the column is that the only way to repair it ? Thanks
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Thank you for the information. Do you know if I have to take the whole column apart to reattach the horn wire to the bushing. Thanks again
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

John Polychron

I had a '55 Cadillac two door hardtop. The service manual for 1955
was the most comprehensive I have ever seen. It even described the
demounting of the rear seat back which was different than the '55
two door Coupe de Ville ( go figure). The only fault I could find in the
manual was stating that there were four bolts to attach the water pump
when there were actually six bolts. Anyway, get yourself one of these
manuals, they are fantastic.   John
'41 Cadillac Conv Cpe
'46 Cadillac Conv Cpe

Bob Kielar

I have a 54 manual and the 55 supplement it has no information on the steering column. Maybe I have a different version could you tell me which one you have ? Thanks again.
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Tom Magdaleno

Could you tape a new wire to the end of the old wire and pull it through?
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

Bob Kielar

I thought it connected to the horn bushing and the only way you could reconnect the wire is to pull the steering shaft out. Please correct me if I am wrong before I pull this apart. Thanks
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

J. Gomez

Quote from: abob55 on October 26, 2009, 04:23:32 PM
I thought it connected to the horn bushing and the only way you could reconnect the wire is to pull the steering shaft out. Please correct me if I am wrong before I pull this apart. Thanks

The steering shaft is hallowed and the wire goes inside from the horn terminal and up to the bushing (about mid length). You will see on the picture the neutral switch has the spring loaded terminal that rides on the bushing extending the connection outside the steering column.  You will need to solder the new wire ends at the terminal and bushing, so the steering shaft has to come out to get the job done.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bob Kielar

Thank you.  This is my first Caddy so I am sure I will be on here with more questions.
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood