News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Audiovox FM Converter for 1957 wonderbar Radio

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 27, 2009, 08:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , I have thought about the idea of installing a  newer radio in my car , maybe hiding one in the glove compartment . Then i would have to get into speakers and all that stuff .  My wonderbar radio is in perfect working condition . I have made the discission to stick with my origanal radio and add a audiovox FM converter From Ebay  . Has anybody out there added one of these converters to a wonderbar radio . The last thing i want to do is screw up my radio .( Will the elec . antenae still work? ) I drive my car maybe once a week , and do not need a super audio system with stereo and a CD player . But i would like to listen to music on Fm thru my wonderbar Radio .

Thanks Bill.
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Walter Youshock

I have an AM/FM cassette in the glovebox of mine.  I wired the power into the glovebox light switch, have the antenna cable plugged into a splitter so it feeds both the original and add-on radio and tapped into the front speaker.  With the way the original radio is set up, you can't successfully tap into the front and rear speakers as the front speaker is grounded with a wire and the rear speaker is grounded through the body of the car.

I can pull it out of the car in about 5 minutes.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

35-709

I have installed one in a '60 Coupe and a '66 as well as other cars.  Nothing is done to disrupt the original radio.  When hooking up the converter you unplug the antenna lead from your car radio and plug it into the converter, then run the short antenna lead already built into the converter from the converter to your original radio where you removed the original antenna lead.  Then hook up 12 volts to the converter, make it "switched" 12 volts, not 12 volts that is on all the time.  Nothing you are doing interferes with the original radio's workings or the power part of the antenna.  Then tune your original radio to 1400 and turn on the FM converter and use it to tune the FM stations, you may have to tweak your AM 1400 setting a little one way or the other for best reception on the FM converter.  Very simple to do, works great.  Everything plays through your original speakers with no changes.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

J. Gomez

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on October 27, 2009, 08:36:23 AM
Hello , I have thought about the idea of installing a  newer radio in my car , maybe hiding one in the glove compartment . Then i would have to get into speakers and all that stuff .  My wonderbar radio is in perfect working condition . I have made the discission to stick with my origanal radio and add a audiovox FM converter From Ebay  . Has anybody out there added one of these converters to a wonderbar radio . The last thing i want to do is screw up my radio .( Will the elec . antenae still work? ) I drive my car maybe once a week , and do not need a super audio system with stereo and a CD player . But i would like to listen to music on Fm thru my wonderbar Radio .

Thanks Bill.

Bill,

"Ditto from Geoff's comments"..!

With the FM converter you need to remove the antenna lead from the radio, plug it on the FM converter and there is one from the converter that goes back in the radio. You will also need to tap in a 12V DC power and a ground, and you should be ready to rock..!

To listen to the FM, just tuned into the appropriate AM frequency (should be listed somewhere in the converter) in your radio, and turn the FM converter on. There maybe some fine tuning in the radio to lock in the frequency, nothing major. Just remember with the FM converter “on” your radio would not be able to pick up AM stations, to go back to the radio you will need to power “off” the FM converter. 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TJ Hopland

Any of those converters should work as long as they are the type that goes inline and interrupts the antenna line.  The ones that just transmit dont tend to work well if you are moving especially if you are in an area with several radio stations.  This type was really popular when Ipods first came out.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , Thanks everyone for your help , I will go with the FM converter..and as far as being original and authentic .that is what the cars of the 50's had in them by the 60's So i really do not have a problem with it . It works for me.  this is a must club for a vintage Cadillac owner
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Chris Conklin

Just for my own information on this set-up; A very simplified understanding, please bear with me -  You now have the "alternative" stereo sending back through the original unit via the antennae? Much like some the first generation CD changers operated? Again, just curious...
Chris Conklin

J. Gomez

Quote from: Chris Conklin #25055 on October 28, 2009, 06:02:27 PM
Just for my own information on this set-up; A very simplified understanding, please bear with me -  You now have the "alternative" stereo sending back through the original unit via the antennae? Much like some the first generation CD changers operated? Again, just curious...

Chris,

In basic terms that is just about how it works..!

The FM converter acts just like any FM receiver, it them sends the FM signals to the antenna lead up to the radio via an AM standard format frequency i.e. 80Khz. The rest is done in the radio as it assumes it is just an AM signal.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Paul

Wondering the best source for the 12v? Should it come from the fuse box or somewhere else? My converter only has a red wire and is for negative systems. Is this Okay? Is a 12v switch really necessary?
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

J. Gomez

Quote from: Paul on December 02, 2019, 08:44:26 PM
Wondering the best source for the 12v? Should it come from the fuse box or somewhere else? My converter only has a red wire and is for negative systems. Is this Okay? Is a 12v switch really necessary?

Paul,

You can run it from the power side of your radio fuse wire via the converter in-line fuse.

There should not need for a separate switch since the converter should have one.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

35-709

Right, the Audiovox FM converters I am familiar with have a push for on, push again for off button on the right front.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I had the 55's radio out to get it working. I tapped off the back side of the switch with a same gauge wire and ran it to my converter.  I put a secondary inline fuse as well. Converter is powered on whenever the radio is.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jon S

I had my 1958 wonder bar converted to receive FM about 15 years ago and has been working perfectly ever since.  No extra wires, lost glove box space, etc. And it looks totally original
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

Sooner or later, the FM will be gone in Europe, replaced with DAB+. Maybe there will be some similar device available to still use the original radio. Honestly, I don't care too much!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

57eldoking

FM has already been gone in Norway for 2 years, replaced by DAB+. Guess what happened? Radio ratings have almost been cut in half across the board!
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT