News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1938 Pinion Seal

Started by Len Sholes, October 27, 2009, 11:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len Sholes

I am wondering if anyone can supply me with a part number of a pinion seal and speedie sleeve for a 1938 60 Special, in order that I may be able to locate one locally. I know there are various suppliers who list them by description in the states. My problem is that the freight to get one shipped to Canada is more than the price of the seal. Thanks

Chris Bryant #19358

Even though I have a 38 60S under resto, I don't have anything to help. Since I also live in Canada I am familiar with your problem These parts are pretty small, if your supplier won't ship via US Postal Service and will only ship via UPS, if it possible get them shipped to a USPS store in a location near to you on the US side. I do it all the time now after getting severely burned by UPS when the tack on their Canadian-side brokers charges AND another delivery charge to deliver in Canada. I refuse to do it. And if something slips by me and the piece is delivered in Canada I refuse it.

I hope this helps - at least I was able to vent!

Good Luck,

Chrs Bryant

Chris Bryant #19358

Sorry: Please read UPS store in the States.

Warren Rauch

This seal appears to only fit Cadillac. But a lot of them.
    Part # 1413635 ,later #3630051
     Cadillac some 35, 36 exc 90, 37 exc 50,60,90, 38-42 all,
               46-52 with cup type Diff.
       National #30283
       McCord  # 84176
      Victor   # 49234
       Chicago Rawhide # 18677
  Its too bad the newest use is 1952 . Warren

Whit Otis, 1188

Most old lip seals are replaceable with something new.  Sometimes the old seal will have a part number stamped into it, and if it is no longer available, it can be cross referenced to a newer product.  If that doesn't work, if your old seal is good (meaning the metal "can" is not all bashed up), take it to a local bearing distributor as a sample.  Before you jump in the car though, take a caliper and measure the ID of the bore that the seal is pressed in to, and the OD of the shaft that the lip runs on.  A good parts counter man who knows the bore ID, shaft OD, and thickness of the seal, can usually find a replacement without a part number.
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger