News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need color advice

Started by Rick Payton, October 29, 2009, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Payton

I am in the process of restoring a 1955 Coupe Deville. It is the ugliest possible color combo of 58 Cocoabar Brown body and 42 Pecos Beige top with Salmon and Black Cloth interior. I am going to change the car to Silver/Gray with silver leather and correct silver cloth interior. I am going to paint the car with 1955- 92 silver poly and 1955 - 16 Atlantic Gray Poly. I like the 1956 -92 Camelot Gray Poly better.... My questions are should I paint the car dark over light or light over dark?  What ever the roof color choice is  I will use to paint the interior metal the same color. Because I am not using the data plate color will changing to a 56 color be a big deal ?

Thanks
Rick Payton - President- US Distribution
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1955 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1955 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham #590
1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1964 Corvette Stingray
1967 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR
2013 Cadillac XTS
2015 Cadillac Escalade

jeff1956

Changing the color combo at all may be a big deal for some, but not for others.  It will depend on who comments.    I think it is a rare color combination no matter how ugly and people pay for rare and sometimes even ugly.  I would do light over dark if I were you, but that is just my mere opinion. 

Jeff

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Rick, colors are always tough to choose. He are my opinions.
#1 A silver car tends to make the chrome disappear.
#2 I don't think you have enough contrast between the silver & the grey.
   Was that a stock 56 combo?
#3 I prefer the lighter color on the top.

HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

jeff1956

I do think a silver body with an alpine white top would be appropriate, but I'm not here to change anyone's opinions or thoughts.  it's ultimately something you'll have to be happy with at the end of the day.  BTW- Starlight Silver Metallic was used on eldorado's only in 56, but available at extra cost on the rest of the line...In my spec manual it lists no favorable color combinations to go with Starlight Silver from what I can gather.  The only eldorado line tops that would match IMO is white and black, but we're talking Vicodec/Convertible Top  so it would look different than a painted surface.  Most all of the 56 grays look like they are only harmonious with one or two of the other grays plus the addition of alpine white/black.  I would say white would be my choice if you were going to paint it metallic silver...there would be a bright and noticeable contrast there, but like I said....it's something you'll have to be happy with..

jeff

Rick Payton

I am also worried about the chrome getting lot on the silver body so now I am  thinking I should paint the body the 56 camelot gray with the 55 silver poly roof. Do you think the gold plated V's  should stay gold or would you chrome plate them?
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR
2013 Cadillac XTS
2015 Cadillac Escalade

jeff1956

I vote gold...and I'd also buy new 55 Cadillac scripts from Original Parts Group, in the gold anodized finish to wrap it around the body and give it a little more pizazz.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

I think dark over light looks better. I've seen photos of my cars colors reversed, and I don't think it looks good at all IMHO.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

dadscad

My dad bought a new two tone Blue 55, It was a darker blue on top and lighter blue on bottom. He also had a 54 that was a two tone, beige color bottom dark top. The top was a dark brownish red color over the pinkish beige bottom. Sorry I don't know the actual names of the colors, just going by my old memory. I remember the 57 Chevy Bel Air my sister had, copper color on the bottom and Cream color on top, that combo looked great!

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

D.Yaros

You can go to my web site (see link below) and look at my 2-tone gray 55.  It is dark over light.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Rick Payton

This is the color I think I am going to go with for sure!!! I am just not sure for body or top.
This Beautiful car belongs to Otto Skorzeny I borrowed his picture...I hope you don't mind ;)
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR
2013 Cadillac XTS
2015 Cadillac Escalade

Rick Payton

Here are some bad photoshop pictures let me know which one you think...

The colors are not exact but you get the point..... The silver will be a real silver and the Dark Gray will be the color of Otto Skorzeny's car
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR
2013 Cadillac XTS
2015 Cadillac Escalade

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Payton1960 on October 29, 2009, 09:54:02 PM
Because I am not using the data plate color will changing to a 56 color be a big deal ?

I think it was mentioned in another posting (quite a while back) that for judging purposes, if that is your question, the car does not have to match the tag but it does need to be in model/year appropriate colors. And not that I want to try to change your mind, but I definitely do not agree that the original color scheme of the car is the ugliest possible. If I had one in gray I'd trade ya!  ;D
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

Hey that's copyright infringement! Where's my royalty payment?  ;-)

Of course you know my recommendation. I was fortunate to find my car with its original color scheme. It's classy looking and doesn't look too crazy like some of the color schemes of the 50s (not just Cadillac) and looks contemporary.

The black and Sonic Blue interior gives me the fifties look without being over-powering.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

buicksplus

Color is everything, I suggest you use an original combination that you like.  There is no question that attractive colors add a lot of value to an old car, there are no real points for staying with the original color that was on the car -- especially if you don't like that color. 

One word of warning:  I have found that today's basecoat/clearcoat metalic colors have much more of a metal flake look than the original metallics.  I think they look quite out of place on a car from the 50's. 

Good luck and have fun,

Bill.
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Misfit

Rick. Are really confused yet?? You have answers going everywhere.

Like Jeff said, it's a matter of personal preference.

You need to find what suits you best. After all, you're going to be the one behind the wheel, and you need to feel good there.

Fins

jaxops

Just to chime in also- I prefer the dark over light.  It makes the car look sleeker. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Greg Powers

I tend to be a purist, as much as is possible with a car that you expect to drive. You might look at your original colors on paint chips to see what they looked like before 50 plus years of sun and age. Sometimes the most unusual thing occurs when colors are brought back to full lustre and shine. If you are changing colors, as others have said, I would suggest using 1955 colors rather than borrowing from other years.(Particularly for judging purposes) I have  the dealer display color and interior  fabric books to accompany my 1958 Fleetwood 60 Special (Buckskin with Tahitian Coral top) and in them they actually show factory recommended color duos and interior combinations. Perhaps you could locate this information to assist in choices. Sounds like your present interior was actually an upgrade, Black V-Pattern Metallic Nylon seat and seat back inserts with Tangier Tan Leather trim. You might also want to look at correct 1955 interior color options. Of course as has been said so many times before, its your car to enjoy as you please, but if re-sale is in your mind at some point it could be affected by decisions you make right now. Best of Luck!
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Tom Hall 7485

The exterior scheme should be chosen after the interior color scheme is chosen so that the two coordinate.  Your selections as to interior scheme are probably the more limited of the two if you plan to reupholster in authentic materials.

The black-and-salmon interior goes best with Pacific Coral (50), Deep Cherry (54), Tangier Tan (44), Cocabar Brown (46), and black.  It is a stretch but viable with Mandan Red (52).

You could substitute Pecos Beige, Alpine White or black for the current roof color and save a lot of effort.  That may work for you if you can live with the Cocabar Brown body.

A light roof color helps to keep the temperature of the passenger compartment down on hot, sunny days.  But then, so does a sheet of heat reflective material sandwiched between the roof and headliner...
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Rick Payton

I have decided!!! The interior is going to be correct Silver V fabric from SMS. the Carpet is correct gray wool, the headliner is silver as well as the leather. The Dash Pad and the top of the door panels are going to be black. I am painting the car body 1956 Camelot Gray and the Top 1955 Silver Poly.... I think this will show off the Chrome and accent the interior the most... Now I just need to get it done in time for the CLC Nationals in Kansas City July 2010

One question, Should I paint the dash and the metal part of the door panels the Gray or the Silver?
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR