News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Deville Power window switch

Started by oldcarnut48, October 30, 2009, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut48

Last week my power window on the drivers door quit working.I opened the cover plate up and the chrome buttons just fell off.The wires were still attached but I need to know if I pull the entire switch apart and clean up the contacts and MAYBE JB weld it back together can I use electrical contact cleaner or brake clean to clean everything?

RobW

I would try evlectrical contact cleaner. I think it would less harsh than brake kleen.
Are you sure the problem is the switch? Does the motor work if you jump it out? An easy way to test the motor is to use a booster pak or battery charger. Put the ground cable to a good ground on the door or hinge, etc. Then touch the positive cable to one wire of the switch at a time and see if the window moves. One wire will be for raising and the other for lowering.
You should be able to find a new switch. Check ebay or that list that Otto posted.
Rob Wirsing