News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1979 Biarritz Trim Removal Procedure?

Started by PerryB, October 31, 2009, 10:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerryB

Hi - I've found a '79 Eldorado Biarritz with all the fender, door top, and roof trim intact including the stainless roof panel.  Would like to remove these for another project, but hoping someone here may have tried already and might offer some advice on how to go about it?  I have little idea?

Do the fender and door pieces use clips to hold them on so just pull/twist/pry gently or are there fasteners somewhere?  Where?  How to access them?

How about that roof panel?  This one is virtually perfect and even if I don't use it, it's so beautiful!  Does this separate from the base roof easily from under the headliner maybe, or need a saws-all to cut all away - probably something in between?

Many thanks for any guidance,
Perry
Perry Bush
1957 Eldorado Brougham #213

Tod-NTCLC

Hi Perry -

I have not removed all of the trim, but this is what I can tell you from looking around the junkyard.  It appears that the pot-metal trim (front fenders, doors) have studs that pass through drilled holes and are captured with nuts - I know this is true on the pre-1979 models, and it would appear to be a similar set-up on the 79-85 body style.

The stainless top is, to me, pretty neat.  I have always been curious, and after seeing one for sale on e-bay, I decided to play around on my next visit to the junkyard.  This is a pre-formed sheet that is glued directly to the sheet metal of the top.  By removing the vinyl top trim piece (held with clips), I was able to get a putty knife started under the stainless sheet, and lift the sheet off of the steel.  This will require some patience - I was working on a car with a damaged top, and had no need for the piece, but if you are in a hurry and try to apply too much pressure, you will end up denting the stainless.  Obviously, it can be done -  there may be solvents that would help to break the bond to the top, but again, it will require some patience.

Nothing definitive for you, but just what I have discovered -

Tod