News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cant turn off high beams

Started by fnoti, November 02, 2009, 11:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnoti

Hi everyone.  I have been so proud of myself so far with being able to fix a few things here and there on my 59.  Last night I noticed that my highbeams were on and could not get them to turn off.  I keep pushing the button on the floor and it sounds like its clicking but doesnt do anything.  Any ideas of where I might want to begin.  Today when I get home from work I was going to first take a look at that switch and then go from there.  Any help is appreciated.

Dave Shepherd

Do you have Autronic Eye, auto dimming h'lamps?  If not, then the dimmer switch is bad or the connector is burnt/melted.  If you have Autronic Eye post back for addt'l info.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Would they turn off when you turned off the Switch in the Dash?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Quote from: fnoti on November 02, 2009, 01:05:31 PM
thank you, no autronic eye so that helpos narrow it down.

Frank,

Most likely the foot switch is shut and got stuck in the “High” beam.

The power source from both the high and low comes from the panel light switch via the light blue wire; it goes to the foot switch when it is switched between the low (Tan wire) and high beam (Light green wire).

You would need to replace it, since you do not have the Autronic eye, yours will be the regular type.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082