News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rich,lean or normal

Started by eldo59, November 02, 2009, 09:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldo59

Can you tell if the engine is running rich,lean or normal by checking the plugs.
Below is one of the plugs I pulled out of my 390 with tri power.
Mauro Bonfitto

35-709

If it were black and sooty, that would indicate rich.  White porcelain and whitish electrode would indicate lean.  Tan or light brown indicates just about right which is what you appear to have.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks pretty normal to me, but I am not used to seeing what happens to plugs when using these latest fuels, especially the stuff with Ethanol in it.

Not like the old days when Leaded Fuel was around.   Life was simpler then.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

The only way to read plugs is to pull a new one out after say a 50 mph. run, if the plug is exposed to low speed or idling for some length of time they can look too rich.

EAM 17806

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on November 02, 2009, 09:36:00 PM
Looks pretty normal to me, but I am not used to seeing what happens to plugs when using these latest fuels, especially the stuff with Ethanol in it.

Not like the old days when Leaded Fuel was around.   Life was simpler then.

Bruce. >:D

BRUCE:  What kind of corn are you Australians raising down yonder that makes your ethanol bad for your spark plugs?  I've got five cars that all run with ethanol gas and they run perfect, as a matter of fact, I don't have to change plugs for fifty thousand miles or more. I think we better get you some American corn for your cars. Incidently, say hello for me to any Australian army guy you see because I served in the Korean War with a gang of them and what great times we tried to have just after the war ended.  GOD BLESS AUSTRALIA AND OUR GREAT USA.  EAM 
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: EAM 17806 on November 03, 2009, 06:22:27 PM
BRUCE:  What kind of corn are you Australians raising down yonder that makes your ethanol bad for your spark plugs?  I've got five cars that all run with ethanol gas and they run perfect, as a matter of fact, I don't have to change plugs for fifty thousand miles or more. I think we better get you some American corn for your cars. Incidently, say hello for me to any Australian army guy you see because I served in the Korean War with a gang of them and what great times we tried to have just after the war ended.  GOD BLESS AUSTRALIA AND OUR GREAT USA.  EAM 
It is just that I have never worked on an engine that used Ethanol laced Fuel.   I even had trouble reading the Plugs on my Dragster when using Alcohol.   The engine wasn't running for that long.

I don't think we use Corn for Ethanol production here.   I think it is Sugar Cane or something like that.

Corn is for eating, not burning.

Plus, I don't know of anyone here that puts the Ethanol-added fuel in their cars here, even though it is 2 cents/per Litre cheaper.   I know I will never use it whilst the good stuff is still available.

And, no Oxygenated Fuel here either.

Bruce.

PS.   I don't mix with Army Types.   Now, Navy, that's different.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV