News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re: Bleeding air out of convertible hydraulics

Started by Rob Burt, November 08, 2009, 02:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Burt

Hi,
    My 1966 Convertible appears to have air in the system , can anyone tell me how i can bleed this out or point me in the right direction.
When i go to put the top down , the pump runs fow approx 4 - 10 seconds before it takes up the oil , i've checked the reservoir and it's full (maybe more than it should be??) but i can see air in the hydraulic lines ???
Cheers
Rob
PS-I am an Aussie member of the Club , but cannot locat my number..

jaxops

This has been a trying morning getting these posted.  Here is the SOP, although in miniature thanks to the web post restrictions. It is the Fisher Body Manual for 1970, although it should be the same for your car.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

jaxops

The last page- thanks crummy website!
1979 Lincoln Continental

35-709

Mark,
Why not send them to Rob Burt directly?  If you click on "email" in small letters below his name on the left side of his post it will open a blank email with Rob's address in it.  Then you can attach the photos that you posted here in a larger size to that email.  There is a way to do it here also (as a PDF file I believe) but someone else will have to to tell you how to do that.
There are lots of things you can do here with pictures and scans (multiple pictures, larger scans) that you just have to know how to do, I am not the one to tell you how though.   ;D
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: jaxops on November 08, 2009, 08:37:39 AM
The last page- thanks crummy website!
G'day Mark,

If the website had no restriction on what size and number of pictures that could be posted, then everyone would be complaining that they couldn't open up messages till "after lunch".

As it is, it doesn't cost the viewers anything, so that in itself is worth the restrictions.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jaxops

1979 Lincoln Continental

Rob Burt

Rob Burt

Hi,
  Still having problems , the pump will run (with the top up) and nothing happens , if i manually lift the top about a foot or two then the hydraulics seem to pick it up.
The top will then work quite normally , if i then put it back up and take it down (again) then it all works OK , but if the top is let in the "up" or closed position for a few minutes , then it does the same thing again..
Should i be purchasing the air bleeder system that is shown on "Convertible parts" ??
Also looking for a new switch/controller , the current one is OK , but i would like to get a spare. The convertible parts website does not seem to have any for a 1966 Cadillac , are there other sites that i could look at??
Any help would be very appreciated..
Cheers
Rob
CLC#17483

Chris Conklin

Check with Cadillac Tim for a switch, he may have some more. He was the best price I found as well, but you need to send him a replacement core.

tagroves@wctel.net
Chris Conklin

Ian clc#20080

G'day Bob,

I used a length of 5/16 isd oil/Trans Cooler tube.  At one end I crudely ground down the outer diam of the tube for about 3/4" so that it made a tight fit into the filler plug hole.  I then ran the tube down to a bottle of trans oil on the floor of my '65 convertible.  I cycled the roof up and down a couple of times and all was well. Still has a few bubbles in the lines but it runs ok.

Good luck.

Regards,  Ian.

dave_wa

Hi Rob

Give me a call direct, and I will see if I can help (0401 100 288). I have a bleeder kit you can use if you wish. I live near Armadale WA.

All the best Dave
Dave Batger
CLC# 24083

Perth - Western Australia

1958 Cadillac Convertible
1959 Cadillac Series 75

35-709

Ahhh, you got me!  I thought at first you were in the state of Washington (WA), USA.  The phone number had me going!  Too early in the morning for me I guess.

;D  Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Geoff,

Yes, that phone number is a Mobile Phone Number here in Australia.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon