News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37Caddy Flywheel turning done in car??

Started by harvey b, November 08, 2009, 01:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvey b

Hi All,am thinking i want to replace the clutch disc in my 37-60 series caddy,the clutch feels a little softer than normal?,was looking in the shop manual and they say to do it in the car while still bolted to the crank,remove the plugs and turn it over,it calls for some equipment that i dont have access to,is it OK to remove it and send it out to a machine shop and have it resurfaced,like you would have a modern car done?,or is it done this way to ensure perfect alignment,maybe from a crooked flywheel? hard to describe but you get the idea.i plan to have the disc relined and the pressure plate rebuilt,i have a parts store here that is great for this sort of stuff.any ideas appreciated. Thanks Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Len Sholes

My advice is to remove the flywheel and have it machined off the engine. The shop that relines your clutch disc and reconditions the pressure plate should be able to do this. At the same time if they have all three components they can set it up on their bench and adjust the pressure plate release levers so that when you reassemble it back onto the engine it will be just like new. I would also reccommend that you replace the pilot bearing and the throwout bearing. One word of caution is when you go to remove the pressure plate there is a good chance that some of the mounting bolts have more that one flat washer on them. Mark the pressure plate to flywheel location and make notes as to which bolts have the extra washers in order that you replace them back in the same location. This is how the unit was balanced. Good luck.