News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

38 LaSalle headliner

Started by Tom Beaver, November 08, 2009, 11:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Beaver

Can anyone tell me where the ends of the first two headliner wire bows are anchored (the two closest to the windshield).  I have a coupe which has five wire bows that fit in the headliner listings (cloth tubes on the back side of the headliner).  Ends of the third, forth and fifth  wire bows appear to fit into holes drilled in the top of the two headliner tacking strips which run along the sides above rear quarter windows.  However the front two wire bows are a mystery.  I know they attach along their length to the two roof support structures which run side to side above the door openings but there appears to be nowhere to anchor the ends.  I see no holes or anything that looks like a retainer in the vicinity of where the ends of the bows must terminate.  I didn't take the car apart so I don't know what was there originally so maybe there are some parts missing.  Any words or pictures about how it goes together would be most welcome.

Tom Beaver

Steve Passmore

Hi Tom, There should be something there to attach the wires too, If you measure from the front of the headlining to the first wire, than transfer that measurement from the screen back along the tacking rail, what do you find?  Are there tabs folded down perhaps?
Steve
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Tom Beaver

Steve.....Thank you very much for the reply.  I have looked all over the area where the wire bows terminate and can find no obvious place to secure the ends.  For reference I have attached a picture of the first bow held in place near it's termination on the right side of the car above the door.  I placed a piece of tape along the bow so that it's more visible.  Unless I am mistaken when the bow is placed inside the headliner listing it is stuck over the metal v-shaped prongs placed along the support bar.  One of these prongs is shown in the picture holding up the wire bow.  If this is indeed how it is attached then end, as shown in the picture, must be in nearly the right place.  Note that the wire bow termination is right by the two bolts that fasten the top support bar.  Is it possible I am missing some sort of retainer that fastens to these bolts or is the end just supposed to be free?  I can't imagine the ends were left free because they would vibrate and rattle.  The only pictures I find in the Fisher Body Manual of the area in question don't show the wire bows, or as far as I can tell, any sort of retainer secured by the top support bolts.  Any further thoughts would be most appreciated.

Tom Beaver

Steve Passmore

Tom, Your right, the prongs are what will hold up the headlining bows, these must be spiked through the material "tubes" that are stitched to the top of the headliner and they support the bow wire of coarse.  Make sure you put them through as far away from the headlining material as possible so you have a little of this tube material hanging and keep the places where you spike them all nice and even, if they are out of line this will show up badly in the finished job.
Looking at your pictures I think because the securing prongs are so close to the edge of the door they have not bothered with any securing point for the bow end other than resting it between those two screw heads as you have done, when thats under tension it cant go anywhere, it will also be supported by the windlace and "hidem" or "wireon" when thats fixed to that taking strip I can see. I think your good to go.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Tom Beaver

Steve....Thank you again.  Your suggestion makes sense, so I will proceed with the headliner installation leaving the ends of the first two headliner bows free.

Tom Beaver