News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine parts for 1940 flathead v8?

Started by Andrew Pullin, November 09, 2009, 05:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Pullin

Hey folks. I am fairly new to this wacky world of flathead v8's (but I can build a rotary engine in my sleep!), so I need a little advice.
Are the engine rebuild kits available on ebay of good quality, and fairly priced? Or are there better and/or cheaper routes?
Here's an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LaSalle-322-Master-engine-kit-1937-1938-1939-1940_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c513707ffQQitemZ190341122047QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2382wt_893

Secondly, are the head bolts stretch bolts? That is, will I definitely need to replace them? Only place I've seen list them is Cooper Vintage Auto....

I'm still in the planning stages of what to do with this monstrous LaSalle hearse... gotta get a fix on the budget!
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

The Tassie Devil(le)

As far as the Head Bolts go,m they are definitely not like the late-model Stretch Type.

They do Stretch, but are designed for multiple use, and when torqued properly, can be used over and over again.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tod - NTCLC

Head bolts on the flatheads are of a very specific length and hardness.  I don't doubt what Bruce says, but one of the regular maintenance functions on these engines is to re-torque the headbolts to 75 ft. pnds.  I can tell you that I was checking the torque on a rebuilt engine last week, and broke off one of the head bolts used during the rebuild (it was obviously re-used).

These headbolts enter the waterjacket, and are subject to deterioration.

Terrill Machine in DeLeon, TX has reproduced these head bolts to exact specification - correct, grade 9?, Rockwall hardness 38-39 - I ordered from them, and was very pleased with the quick turnaround, and the quality of the bolts.  They also offer just about everything you need to rebuild these engines, and they have been doing it for a long time.  They are not internet ready, but give them a call and they will send you a list of available items - extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks.

See Otto's vendor list for more suppliers

Otto Skorzeny

Say what?

Click on the link below my name and all your questions will be answered.

Well, a lot of them anyway.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Andrew Pullin

Hrm it looks like a a set of head bolts is $100 from Cooper, so not too bad. I'm guessing that Cooper and the ebay kits are really just EGGE machine parts anyway.
I think the ebay kit is cheaper than getting everything piece by piece from Cooper.

I need to squeeze every dollar, since I also need to buy a MIG welder and a a HVLP paint setup!
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/