News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Synthetic in the transmission on a 1955 Hydramatic?

Started by Brett Cottel, November 09, 2009, 05:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Cottel

Hope this topic isn't redundant with the engine oil blogs, but anyone using a synthetic oil in their hydramatic trannys?  Not sure if I will have a seal problem or not....seems like it is the way to go...use it in all my daily drivers, worktrucks, etc.
what do you think?
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

In my opinion, this is a bad idea.  Stick with the normal Dexron type fluid for which this
unit was designed.  Also, synthetics have a nasty habit of freeing up crud that may be
present in your tranny, especially if it's never been rebuilt.

In short, my recommendation is "NO"!.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Dave Shepherd

Agreed, maybe use Lubegard Red additive, I have had good success  with it.

Brett Cottel

good opinions guys....I do not think it has ever been rebuilt and judging by the dirt in the engine oil....I'll probably stick with your advice. I am even worried about using a dretergent oil in the motor.....anyone try using engine flush, diesel, oilflush additives without clogging the pump ?
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Peter Nieuwlandt

I've used synthetic in my Hydramatics with good effect.The trans shifts better and seem to run cooler.After 5 years no ill effect

Peter
Peter Nieuwlandt
CLC 17863

dadscad

I would only use synthetic lubricants when the motor or transmission are known to be in relatively clean and mechanically sound condition. I use synthetic oil in the motor, transmission and differential of my 63 with excellent results. It can be done successfully if the unit is up to snuff.

Putting synthetic lubricants in a dirty motor or transmission would not be advised, the detergents will start breaking down the crud. You already know that will cause many problems as the mix circulates through the unit.

David
Independent Amsoil Dealer 1074391
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille