News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I took out my brake booster too clean it up and now it leaks from inside the car

Started by collector, November 09, 2009, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

All, I did was remove the booster clean it and use the cad plating system from Eastwood. I finally got finished detailing the engine bay and after 5 months I went to start the car and it was missing. I heard the loud noise from the inside of the car only so I disconnected the vacuum to the booster and the car smoothed out and the hiss went away. Did I damage something? The car only has 25k miles why would it be hissing. I went ahead and bought a reman and will have to use the cad system on the booster so it looks original again. Do these go bad? Ive have over 40 cars in my life and NEVER had a booster go bad and Ive had cars all the way back to the 50's. Did I screw something up?

Dave Shepherd

Without getting into the unit there is no real way to tell where the problem lies.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing wrong with Plating a Brake Booster, and I am referring to Chrome Plating, but Cad Plating could be the same, is that it should not be done.

When makinmg the mating surfaces too smooth, you lose the sealing capacity of the seals, and leaks will occur.

These cars that have their Boosters Chromed for shows is not a problem as they don't get driven much, but fort a road car, the factory coating is the best.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   What car are we talking about?
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
You didn't mention whether or not your power booster still "boosted" (power assist) or not.  The vacuum leak you describe sounds typical of a bad booster diaphragm.  Age, as much as use can be the culprit in the life of a booster diaphragm.  It is of course possible that some of what ever you used to clean the metal attacked the booster diaphragm.

If you have a lot of effort and are attached to the original booster, there are several re-builders in your neck of the woods that can rebuild yours.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

collector

Thank you. Yes the original master cylinder is still on the car and has a slight seep of fluid. All I did was remove it and sanded the unit and then sprayed with the CAD system from Eastwood. Its a three spray paint system. If done right you cant tell it from real plating. Thats what I did. I guess the age must have gotten to the rubber it sure isnt from use. I went to Auto Zone and bought another one and will just go ahead and CAD paint it and be done. It must have been leaking slightly because once I plugged the hose off the cars idle was like glass, which I have been struggling with since I bought the car. For 96.00 Im sure it will take care of the situation.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Oops, I thought you had disassembled it, and Cadmium Plated it, not actually "Painted" it.

Forget what I previously wrote.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible