News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Experimental 1965 Eldorado (PICTURES NOW ON-LINE)

Started by Vince Taliano #13852, November 18, 2009, 04:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Taliano #13852

I received my November 19, 2009 issue of Old Cars Weekly today.  There was a great story on pages 25 and 26 on an Experimental 1965 Eldorado.  Specifically, GM was working "to match Lincoln's appealing flush top-cover styling elemnt on a special Eldorado."  Three pictures, taken on October 20, 1965 (the day before I was born), are included in the article.  The article ends by saying "where it went after that remains a mystery."

Has anyone heard of this before? 

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Vince,

I have an unhealthy number  of Cadillac books and photos and I haven’t heard this before. Could you please post a few pictures?

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Vince Taliano #13852

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on November 18, 2009, 05:24:38 PM
Hi Vince,

I have an unhealthy number  of Cadillac books and photos and I haven’t heard this before. Could you please post a few pictures?

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I have been in touch with Angelo Van Bogart who says that pictures will be posted on their website early next week and the article will probably appear in the OCW e-newsletter that will be distributed the day before Thanksgiving. 

Interesting stuff!

Talk with you later,

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region

Greg McDonnell

I too received my copy of Old Cars Weekly with that article.  Needless to say, it was of great interest to me since I own a '66 Eldorado.  It came as a complete surprise to me-I've not ever read or heard anything about it before.  Just checked my copy of Cadillacs of the Sixties-zilch about this car.  Gee, if things had been different and the experiment  successful enough to impress the powers that be, maybe the '66 models would have looked different.  Although I don't mind the (folded top) bulge under the boot, the smooth sheetmetal would have had quite a streamlined look!  Our '64 T-bird convertible has that look and when the top id down, it looks like the car never had a top!  Wow-the '65/'66 Eldos would have looked even more incredible than they do presently with their tops down!

I wonder if Yann has anything about the experiment in the Cadillac Database?

Greg McDonnell
Mobile, AL
CLC #20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

veesixteen

It doesn't ring a bell. Let's just wait and see what follows. 
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Vince Taliano #13852

Hello everyone,

Angelo emailed me this morning that the story and pictures are now on-line.  Visit http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/experimental_eldorado/.

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region

Barry Norman

Looks like they were still perfecting the inward folding "scissor top " mechanism that showed up in '71 . Wish this beauty was still around !
Barry Norman

Otto Skorzeny

Too bad there are no good profile shots of the top down. It does look pretty clean withpot the folded top breaking up the lines.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

The Tassie Devil(le)

Beautiful pictures, and I love the in-built Parade Boot.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

RobW

Wasn't there a similar set up on a 65 four door prototype in The Self-Starter not too long ago?
Rob Wirsing

Greg McDonnell

Maybe I'm just used to how the production '65/'66 Eldorados look but it appears (in the first photo) the angle of the rear of the  top is steeper on this experimental Eldorado.  I have to say I prefer the angle of the production Eldorados (and Devilles).  The way my car's top looks in the 'up' position is very pleasing.   In my opinion, Cadillac Studio really got the integration of the body and the top on the production cars absolutely perfect (see attached photo)

Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

CaddyCain

Greg,
I noted the more upright rear window too, and assumed it would have been done to allow for the powered glass rear window to operate more vertically and fit into the space below when in the down position.
Personally, I have  always preferred cars as designed( including my 66 Convertible, like your 65, in Marlin Blue), and very few 'customisations' have ever done it for me.
Cheers, Neil
Neil

Greg McDonnell

Neil,

It didn't occur to me the reason the XP's convertible top was more upright was probably due to the mechanism that lowered the back window.  Excellent observation on your part.  I guess I had forgotten about the fact the rear glass lowered automatically. 

Like your DeVille convertible, my Eldorado is also a '66 model.  However, it is finished in Cobalt Firemist, not Marlin Blue.  The photo I attached does give the impression that the color could be Marlin Blue (a bit more intense and slightly darlker than Cobalt.  Maybe it was the time of day in which the photo was taken. 

Best regards,

Greg
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hi,
Another reason for the roof being different is the top on the factory convertible is pretty close to the trunk where as the experimental car has the extra panel between the top and trunk to cover top, though they don't show a picture of a top view with the top all the way up or down, theirs a company thats makes 2 different 1990's Eldo convertibles, 1 is the standard top that sticks up when down, the other is concealed, and in that 1 the top is a straighter angle as well when top up.

I can't find the link to the conversion company now but heres a couple examples.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&result_car_id=null&dealership_view_name=www.eastepswheels.com&car_id=201410246&dealer_id=581926

http://www.chicagoclassiccars.com/inventory_show.asp?stknum=CC131&show=1
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

okccadman

The company is Coachbuilders Limited in Florida.  The top with the raked rear window has a standard snap on vinyl boot and the more vertical shaped top has an integrated hinged hard boot, similar to a 53 Eldo or 70-80s Mercedes SL.

http://www.droptopcustoms.com/showroom/cadillac-dts/

here's a new DTS they built the government of Thailand
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado