News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 trunk liner

Started by Mike GA, November 18, 2009, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike GA

Seeking advice:

I have the correct trunk liner fabric for my 68 Deville convertible, but the mat on trunk floorpan - made of some kind of pressed fiber - is disintegrating.

I'm talking about the stuff on the floor that the carpet is glued to. 

Do you guys have any idea what it is, where I could get it, or what would make a suitable replacement?

Mike
Mike Manley
1968 Deville Convertible

Blu68caddy

Hey Mike

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I ended up using a product called CELOTEX purchase at my local home center i.e. Lowes or Home Depot. It is a pressed fiber board used as an exterior sheeting on home construction and comes in a 4x8 sheet.
Its not heavy at all

I used the old mat for a template and cut out the celotex with a razor knife (it cuts easily).
Then I used a spray adhesive to glue the new carpet down.

The only problem I had was the new mat was more ridged than the old so I had to make a straight cut on the under side (opposite side of the carpet) on one of the wings so I could fold that side up and install the liner in place then you fold the wing down.
Once its down you cant see the seem. You will need to cut out for the spare tire hold down bracket.

I did mine 12 years ago and it has held up very well. Maybe they have something better now then celotex not sure but I am still happy with the result.

Mark
Mark Morris