All Cads

Author Topic: Ignition Distributor Lubrication  (Read 1003 times)

eam32

Ignition Distributor Lubrication
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
TO:  GUYS & GALS!  Here is something I just learned this summer about lubricating HEI and conventional distributors pivot points and advance weights.  It would be best to use #30 non-detergent motor oil for the advance weights to slide on and on all the pivots points too.  Just a note for general information.  I use it on all my five cars (only one Cadillac) and it works quite well. Of course, on the module you still would use silicone lubricant.  EAM

Offline TJ Hopland

Re: Ignition Distributor Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:40:53 AM »
You would think now days there would be better stuff that would not fly off.  I suppose if you are willing to add lube more often and clean the remains of the old lube more often the flying off would be a good thing because as the lube flies off it takes the wear and dirt with it.   If you had a lube that stuck so would the wear and dirt.   Probably not a problem when you were in there regularly to deal with points but when the HEI's came out started to be a problem.     

The goo on the electronic modules is there to ensure good heat transfer between the module and the body of the distributor.  Its specially designed for that purpose. 99% of it is white in color.  Any other sort of stuff there will likely act more like an insulator and shorten the life of the module.  Its a totally different stuff than what you use on spark plug boots.  If you cant find it at a parts store radio shack still has it.  Its often called heat sink compound, or heat transfer grease.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

All Cads