News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

85 Seville Right Front Wheel

Started by CarlLovgren, November 23, 2009, 08:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlLovgren

I have a dilemma.  I had a recent front brake job done + new tires.  I seems that the tire people wanted to repair my right front. When the car in on the lift the right front wheel wiggles(left does not) in the air and looks like all attached components are loose. But when on the ground moving, no wiggle-jiggle or any signs of tire wear. Just a nice stable smooth ride. My regular mechanic says there is nothing wrong. I drove my Seville from St Pete Fl to Chicago and back last summer, putting about 3000 miles on her and not a bit of abnormal tire wear.
Just wondering if this is normal?

Carl Lovgren
St Pete, Fl

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Carl,

Not exactly sure what you are trying to describe, but all rims should spin true and all tyres should do the same when mounted on the rims.

Anything else, and something is WRONG.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

When on the ground there are forces from many directions acting on everything.  When in the air for the most part you just have the weight of the parts against gravity so if something is loose thats when its going to show.   I would want to know what part they think needs replacing.  I had a bad wheel bearing on my 75 eldo which has pretty much the same design just scaled down a bit.  On that car I did not really notice anything unusual till I started to feel the brakes.  I was not sure what was going on, I suspected a tire problem at first so I jacked it up for a careful inspection of the tires and while running my hand around the tread I moved the whole wheel.   There was maybe 1" of movement at the bottom of the tire when it was off the ground.  On the ground it seemed rock solid.  When I had the knuckle off to get the new bearing installed I also found the lower ball joint was totally shot, again something that was not obvious before. Those bearings go quick once they start going bad so have a good look to make sure thats not the problem.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason