News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Why Does GM discontinue parts on left side of the car first? Cadillac Brougham

Started by caddykid60, November 24, 2009, 12:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddykid60

Hi,

I have always wondered about this.  I've needed a few parts of the years for my 1990 Cadillac Brougham.  What I have run into when calling the parts department is that one side (right side) is still available one side (left side) is discontinued.  This has happened with a few items, recently, exhaust manifolds.  Does anyone know why GM would discontinue one side and keep one side available?  Why not just discontinue both sides.  I ended up buying the right side NOS and a really super clean left side from a Cadillac parts place.  I have always thought this is odd.  Thanks, Mike
Mike Kelley
1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1991 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Wagon

John Morris #23947

Because the right side is damaged 10 times more often than the driver side. Thus much higher demand for replacement parts.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, the manufacturers only have to retain a certain number of replacement parts to enable the sale of these parts over the counter for something like 10 years past the end of vehicle production.

In the case of Suspension parts, it is usually the Passenger Side parts that run out first.

A funny thing happened here in Australia.

Holden had produced sufficient Chassis' for the Holden "1 Tonner" vehicle that had been calculated to enable consumers to purchase as replacements resulting from crashes and the like, and everything was sweet.  I witnessed the huge pile of new Chassis in the Holden Factory, well after the Holden 1 Tonner had stopped production.

That was until a Kit Car designer building replica Corvettes named the Parrenti, found that the Holden 1 Tonner Chassis was the best platform to use for their vehicle.   All of a sudden, the supply of new Chassis got used up, and no more were available for the genuine Holden owner as the Dies for making the Chassis had previously been converted into something else.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I always figured there were two options.

A- the side I need is the side that never breaks so no one makes new ones because of little demand.

B- the side I need is the side that always breaks so they have sold out. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

JerRita

I had the same exact problem with one of my broughams The parts place told me that the left side was spefific to the brougham for those 3 years only so there was no incentive for aftermarket manufacturers to reproduce them Also I found out that the manifold is good for either the 5.0 or the 5.7 Go figure When we took mine apart I was able to machine the original down level so now I have a spare WHEW Happy Bird Day to all
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

Wayne Womble 12210

I think its actually the other way around.  The LH side is closer to the traffic and tends to get damaged more often, thus they run out of replacement parts sooner for that side.   

RobW

Quote from: Wayne Womble 12210 on November 28, 2009, 12:18:02 AM
I think its actually the other way around.  The LH side is closer to the traffic and tends to get damaged more often, thus they run out of replacement parts sooner for that side.   

That's what we always heard from various dealers in the body shop when they couldn't locate what we thought should still be available. Many times they did a search and found it on another dealer's shelf.
Rob Wirsing