News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A/C on 1959 Fleetwood

Started by Bob Hodgins, November 25, 2009, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hodgins

I am restoring my 59 Fleetwood 60 special. It is now coming back together nicely. In the process I am adding original a/c which was not on the car. I have located all the parts and am stumped by one little question. I installed the a/c step up solenoid on my Carter 4 barrel carb. The end of the solenoid that faces towards the back of the engine has the vacuum line connection. I can not figure out where to connect the vacuum line. Somewhere on the carb? Or somewhere on the intake manifold? Does it tee into another line? If anyone has the same set up I would appreciate advise.

quadfins

On my '61, vacuum is drawn from the rear of the carb - same source as power brake vacuum. There is a brass fitting that screws into the back of the carb. A small fitting connects to the AC solenoid tube, while a larger fitting connects to the power brake  hose. The attched photo does not show it very well. You can see the metal tube that connects to the brakes (which is not connected in this pic), and behind it is the smaller diameter metal tube that connects to the solenoid. If I get a chance, I'll get a better pic.

Don't know how much changed between '59 and '61
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4