News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 A/C on limousine

Started by Chad Oolman, November 26, 2009, 01:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

I am in the process of restoring a 1959 Cadillac limousine.  I am trying to find out how well, or even if, the original a/c system operates.  I have a 59 Cadillac manual, and it says in there that the full charge should be 4 1/2 lbs of R-12.  My question is, how much more would the limousine take since it has an evaporator in the trunk as well.  I have read through the entire section on a/c and it does not tell me what a full charge for the limousnie should be.

I am also wondering about buying a new compressor from Old Aire.  It looks to me like they have brand bew original style compressors for the 59's.  Does anyone have an opinion on their products?

A/c is a bit over my head, so any help in my learning experience would be appreciated!

Otto Skorzeny

I have purchased an entire system from Old Air Products and am very happy with the quality. A new A6 compressor was part of the deal and it works and looks like new.

They are quite knowledgable and may be able to give you guidance as to the total capacity of your system.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Chad,
The refrigeration system is charged by adding refrigerant with the system in operation until all bubbles are gone from the site glass.  This assumes all the components are functioning correctly. 
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-