News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Engine rebuilt 2 years ago .... bad feeling now

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, December 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  I had my engine completely rebuilt about 2 years ago . The shop that rebuilt the engine is a quality shop with an excellent  engine rebuilder . The bottom line is i developed a valve tap a couple of weeks ago . The cam was removed along with the lifters . Two lifters were badly worn , two lobes were also scored on the cam , My question is was the cam bad or the lifters bad , or both . The engine had oil changes every 6 months always used Lucas with zinc additives .  This engine only had 2,500 miles on it wnen the tapping started . The shop replaced both cam and lifters , only charged me for fluids and  gaskets 125.00 . what caused the condition to happen ? right now i have no faith .  the Mechanic feels horrible about the situation , He seems to feel the quality of these motor parts today are  not the the same as they were 50 years ago . it leaves me with a bad feeling . is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again . I baby this car to death . i have added a few pictures.   
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

TJ Hopland

Sounds like you did everything right and have a great shop.  No way they made any money off that deal, what ever profit there was on the original job is now likely all gone and then some.  Most likely they got no help warranty wise from the parts vendor.   My guess is he is right parts just are not what they used to be.  Half the time you cant even get quality parts for a 350 chevy or buick 3800 and there are tons of those out there.  Sadly we have to be glad anyone even bothers trying to make parts for cars that are no longer used by the masses.  At least you have a good shop.  That could have easily been a $500+ job.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Otto Skorzeny

I too believe the parts are to blame.

Lots of this crap is made in China with zero quality standards. Kanter was having trouble with poor quality Chinese brake drums a few years ago and I know from experience that some of the engine parts they sell now are substandard.

You practically have to source parts yourself from American makers to be sure of what you're getting. Badger Pistons and Valves for example - all quality, USA made.

ZDDP had nothing to do with your problem.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

David King (kz78hy)

When I fired off my fresh engine in April, the engine builder STRESSED to keep the RPM's above 2500 for the first half hour or so.  This was to ensure good oil pressure in the beginning so the new cam and lifters would start the mating process correctly.

My 2 cents and 3000 miles this summer, so far, so good.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Cam and Lifters have a "Virtual Window" of between 5 and 10 Minutes during initial Start-up which can mean the difference of early destruction or long life.

Personally, I would be looking at the way the engine was run in, how long was it idled.

Whenever I start up a rebuilt engine, as soon as the engine fires, I immediately raise the Revs to 2,500, for a total of 1/2 Hour, whilst I inspect the outside of the engine for leaks and the like, and using a Timing Light, check the ignition for timing, at those revolutions.   If I have to turn the engine off during this running-in time, I turn off the ignition without letting the engine idle at all.   It doesn't hurt anything doing this.

I know it sounds awful, but it is the best insurance that any engine with Flat Tappets can receive.   The Rings can be bedded-in at a later stage whilst actually driving.

One of the biggest "Killers" of a rebuilt engine is over careful running in.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

If it was a break in issue wouldnt you expect to see damage to all the lobes?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Sweede64

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 02, 2009, 09:17:24 AM
If it was a break in issue wouldnt you expect to see damage to all the lobes?

Nope, i have had customer who bought cams an they vere run down on one or two lobes, the reason was just owercarefull braking in, yes, they dit get the revs up but where too chicken the first minute or so and waited too long. Lots of start and stops, putting the dist. wrong, floding carb and filling the crankcase whith gas, etc.

When i helped them and started the engine an gunned it the where horryfied, its brand new! Not to mention when i broke the rings in..... dont pamper them, if the temp ad oilpressure is rightj just drive.
Thomas Karlström

Ross Morgan #22943

We're about to restore a '57 engine and was about to place the order with Coopers but then heard "you have to get the suppliers right".  The owner of the '53 Eldo at the '07 GN in Savannah had problems with soft bearings and rings and he'd sourced them from Kanters.  This morning, I get a lead that www.egge.com are the place to go.

I had a '53 engine restored by a very reputable engine Grand Rapids, Michigan restorer but when I got the car (2 weeks ago) after importing in to Australia, it had both engine slap (for the first 2 - 3 minutes) and excessive smoke (both sides). So, now I'm scared! And this engine was dynoed and run in!

Can anyone shed some light on where to (really) get the best parts from?

Thanks, regards, Ross.

David King (kz78hy)

Hi Ross

Egge is good, my engine builder got pistons from them and that is what is running in EB 615.  Terrill Machine in Texas is supposed to offer great engine parts as well.

Hope this helps

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Otto Skorzeny

Contact info for both those companies is on the "List".

Click on link below  my name to find them.

Badger Pistons and Valves are made in USA today brand new.

http://badgerpistons.com/
fward

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
   I think this is a great learning expierance  for me .  If i was an engine rebuilder i would tell my cutomers right up front to go with the best from a USA company .  I can not imagine a Cadillac engine with chinese guts . what the heck is going on here .  The new lifters that went into my engine, this time are Comp Cams  822-16 a-CRS-CRB-HYD Lifter   the Cam Shaft is Melling CASC-2  Both are made in the USA as far as i can tell . Any input Positive or negative will be greatly appreacited . as always this site keeps my car Happy . Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Otto Skorzeny

Hell, they're making entire Cadillacs in China for crying out loud. Why should the gut's be any different? It's really pathetic, actually.

I just put all new calipers and rotors on my '79 F100 today and the rotors were made in China. One of the "hardened" bolts that came with the new calipers broke when I tightened it up. Fortunately it was so soft I was able to drill it out without too much trouble. I then used the original 30 year old American bolts to put both sides on.

It's disgusting.
fward