News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Original engine

Started by kyle, December 02, 2009, 11:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyle

Hey guys I am thinking about buying a 1960 Cadillac, wanted to get your opinions on what a non numbers matching engine does to the value of a car. It is a correct 1960 engine just not matching numbers. Thanks.

Otto Skorzeny

Depends on whose buying. If the work was done correctly I wouldn't care because I use my cars for transportation not bragging rights or car shows.

Some people on the other hand, don't even buy new spark plug wires because they want everything to remain exactly as the car left the showroom.

To each his own.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

David King (kz78hy)

Kyle

The original numbered engine would ad a premium to the next owner who might want the car for collectable purposes.  If your plan is to enjoy the car and use it, the same year but non-original engine would not matter very much, except when you were to resell.  If you buy it at a discount because of that fact, then there should not be any additional loss.

David    who prefers numbers matching cars
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Carfreak

IMO unless it is an Eldo Biarritz or Brougham or a truly exceptional example of another model, 'numbers matching' doesn't mean much in value for 1960 Cadillacs as long as it is the correct engine for the car. 

Does CLC check to see if numbers match during judging?  Un unh. 
Does AACA?    CCCA?    Not that I'm aware of.   

Its not like its a Corvette.    ;)

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

kyle

I would like to have Bill Wrefakis weigh in on what a non matching # engine does to the value of a fully restored show ready 59 or 60 Biarittz. Thanks Bill.

RobW

I would think an unscrupulous person could grind down the area where the numbers are and stamp the "correct" number in its place. How many of us have actually seen the numbers on our engines anyway? I'll bet most haven't.
Rob Wirsing

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Those numbers are easy to find if you know where to look.  I darn sure know mine.
The Authenticity manuals tell you where to look.

I would think anyone who is going to lay down serious money for a classic Cadillac would
look at those as one of the "check-points" on his list to see if the engine number and
frame number matched (as they should for 50's cars).  I don't know what years had
this feature, prior to when they changed over to the "VIN Number" tags which I think
was late 60's (?).

No, the judges normally don't check this -- but -- you can bet a smart buyer would.  So,
as someone already said, if the non-matching numbers don't bother you, get a discount
on the price up front because it will bring less when you sell it.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region