News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

removebody ??? to replace metal brake hoses '38 lasalle coupe

Started by homeonprunehill, December 03, 2009, 06:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeonprunehill

my next-door neighbor is in the process replaceing metal hose (brake) does the body have to be removed in order to replace the tubeing???
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

buicksplus

I seriously doubt it.  I have a 37 and there are some brake lines that are routed in the narrow space between the frame and the body. They were probably installed at the factory without the body in place.  But I think you can snake out these lines without removing the body, you may have to bend them a bit to manage it.  If you can't, you can probably re-route the new lines around those narrow spots.  You can also replace brake lines with shorter sections, joined by threaded unions.  These shorter segments are much easier to handle and install, the joints can be kept out of sight if you're fussy about such details.

Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Doug Houston

I've become somewhat of a nut about brake lines. There will be some that you'll encounter, that are a stinker to remove from the chassis. As already mentioned, that hardware was put on the frame before the body drop, but the lines are generally not too horrible to snake out of the frame.

As I write, I'm having a '41 Chevrolet convertible worked on, with a lower ratio rear axle installed. This means re-doing the entire braking system, new rear wheel bearings, and grease seals. I bought 4 new wheel cylinders, and new master cylinder, and hoses from NAPA. We'll be putting silicone fluid in the system.

And, on the lines, themselves, I'm going to have my mechanic carefully remove the metal lines, and I'll take them over to an outfit, called INLINE TUBE, in Washington Township, Mich. They will duplicate the lines for me in Stainless Steel tubing, exactly as the original ones are. They have a web page, and a catalogue on it. 

Two years ago, I had a set of their stainless lines made for my '41 Cadillac convertible; from their catalogue. The fittings dopped right into place in all places, just as though Cadillac had been the supplier.

Inline has a tubing set in their catalogue for '41 Chevrolet, but not convertibles. When I take the old lines to them, they'll duplicate the lines for me exactly,  then, that set of lines will become another item in their catalogue. I don't guess that they'll be selling 5,000 line kits for '41 Chevy convertibles, but when the next guy comes along, they'll be ready  for him!

The reason I'm such a Heller about this is, that I have had four brake lines leak; losing brakes. All were at a standstill, but it's a sinking feeling, and I'm not going to have another one go bad, especially on cars I value so highly. The tubing set for the cadillac was under 200 bucks, and that's nothing, compared to repairing a wrecked classic car!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

homeonprunehill

DOUG,KANTE NOW SALES SS LINE SETS FOR $219. BUT MY NEIGHBOR THANKS HE CAN BUY THE RFLARINGS TUBE AND DO IT CHEPKER. HE SAYS HE HAS A DEGREE IN AUTO 'S.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Otto Skorzeny

There are two good suppliers of pre formed stainless steel lines whose contact information can be found on the Huge List by clicking the link below my name.

Inline Tube and Classic Tube
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Doug Houston

For reasons told me by others working on cars, I'll stick to Inline Tube (and probably the other one) as my sources. Inline Tube is about 30 miles from here, anyway, and one of those outfits is pretty surely the source that the dealer mentioned gets them from. I won't elaborate here.

Good luck to your neighbor. When the set of perfectly  pre-formed tubes, from a professional manufacturer cost me less than 200 bucks, I consider that to be most reasonable.  I have the double flaring kit, and I have always considered my double flared tubes to be more risky than I cared to drive the car with. Besides, Stainless steel tubing is tough stuff to work with.

Thus, I'd rather pay an expert shop a couple of c-notes for his product.  As years passed, I've lost a lot of my tendency to save a few bucks, doing everything myself, and doing it poorer than the experts do it.

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Jeff Maltby 4194

I bought a complete set from Inline Tube for my 49 FB. Only the smallest 9" line dropped right in. I had to bend all the others less the left rear cylinder line, which was no where near Oem/Exact as you can see. They charged me $35 to do it Right after sending it back with mine. I've been struggling to remove and replace the master cylinder line to rear junction fitting with the body on, then I'm done. I'm using silicone fluid also for the first time.     
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Otto Skorzeny

You're just too picky, Jeff. =P

Did they offer any explanation why none were correct?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jeff Maltby 4194

Thanks Otto. When it comes to brakes your right=P. Classic Tube
didn't have patterns for a 49 in 2005. Inline tube was fine to deal with , though I don't know where they got their patterns from ? They offered to make it right if I sent back their's and my oem lines which I never did, so they get a A for effort.

P X Pi= ~:<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500